Making the leap to Campy - from Red and Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Vastly superior? They both change gear pretty well, some like one system, some like the other. But vastly superior? Errrrr don't think so!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

to each his own. I actually own more EPS stuff than di2 stuff. you can't fault either for shifting quality. but setup, maintenance, and ease of use, there is no comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I rode both.. Long time campy mechanical fan.. Still am . Put 9070 di2 on the wife's bike.. Did 4/5 long rides with climbing and rollers .. I was sold . One ride with EPS.. Nice indeed but étube is awesome
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

philipBer

by philipBer

Same here, had EPS and now DA Di2. I would opt for the Di2 again in terms of easy installation, setup, variability, etube software, etc. The only thing I really liked with the EPS was the solid "click" when pressing the buttons. The feedback is better on the EPS...

mattr

by mattr

LionelB wrote:bar shape matters

It shouldn't. Swapping from a bar i like to one that works with Campags shifters sounds a bit arse about face. I use the bar FAR more than i use the shifters

Geoff

by Geoff

'Vastly' is a relative term. Despite what I think about Shimano vs Campagnolo, I would happily use Di2 anytime. If I had a choice, I would choose the incremental advantages of Campagnolo. Having said that, now that there is a new crank with no comparable SRM...

LionelB

by LionelB

mattr wrote:
LionelB wrote:bar shape matters

It shouldn't. Swapping from a bar i like to one that works with Campags shifters sounds a bit arse about face. I use the bar FAR more than i use the shifters

Maybe it should not but it does, in particular for small hands. Me I have large hands and can shift no problem with any bar shape. Just information, do whatever you want with it.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I rode campy mechanic for the last 6 years and would never had thought I would change to Shimano until recently. I decided to build a Wilier Cento1SR and after a long debate with myself I decided to GO for DI2 and not EPS and could not be happier. Electronic shifting and DI2 is just amazing and installation and setup was super easy. I even think the latest Shimano DI2 group and crank looks very well crafted.
I still love my bike with the Campy 11s mechanical setup but it gets a lot less road time and I enjoy the electric Shimano a lot more.
Last edited by Frankie13 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

It is false that you have to change the zero setting every time you change a wheel or crank. You simply adjust the "ride setting" which works exactly the same as Shimano. It is stupidly easy. The zero setting is for super fine initial tuning which you shouldn't have to touch again unless the bike hits the deck. The "ride setting" is less fine and specifically for wheel changes and minor tuning adjustments. It can also make small FD adjustments. It is also incredibly simple. Anyone who says otherwise probably doesn't have first hand experience or "heard from a friend". I've owned Ultegra di2 and SR EPS and both work great and are simple to tune. There are some inherent differences with both and it's all preference.

kenmical

by kenmical

Yes. Ergonomic of the thumb shifter is much better vs mechanical because the angle is brought downward.

All I can say is there is no absolute answer to DA Di2 vs SR EPS. Former is cheaper to maintain in the long run while the latter ooze class. Personally I will go with DA Di2 after experiencing how much TLC the SR mechanical set up needed. Then again I am more pragmatic.

Harmitc wrote:EPS thumb shifter ergonomics are better than mechanical. The positivity of the change is very good. In my opinion easier to use than Di2 due to the separation of the function.

Zero set up is easy. Takes a few minutes. Watch the Campagnolo vids to see the process.

Read the other thread on hear about battery shut off. It's because all diagnostics are onboard not remote like Shimano. Battery life even if you don't shutdown with the magnet is barely effected.

There's a lot of rumour about EPS because so few ride it. But it's a great system and you'll not be disappointed!

bfno

by bfno

How does the weight of SR EPS 2015 compare to its mechanical counterpart?
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)