replace ridley helium ISP with normal seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weptunus

by weptunus

hi everyone
lit's been a long time, my question as stated in de topic title:
Does anyone know if it's possible to cut off a ridley helium integrated seatpost and put in a normal seatpost with a regular clamp into the frame, I can get a really good deal but the seatpost on that bike has been cut to short for me...

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I doubt if anyone apart from the people at Ridley could tell you that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

numberSix

by numberSix

I tried to search it up for you but, failed.
Somebody on here got a custom ISP topper that looked longer than OEM.

Bold Precision in PA, USA makes custom posts and toppers. So getting an extended topper would be the easiest fix IMO. The seat rail clamp is excellent, and Thomson-like in range of adjustability.

http://boldprecision.com/bicycle.htm

ms6073

by ms6073

weptunus wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to cut off a ridley helium integrated seatpost and put in a normal seatpost with a regular clamp

If it is cut too short, find a different frame. Although my experience with Ridley is limited to the pre 2013 X-Night ISP framesets, the Helium seems to be similar with an aero/ovalized shape seat mast which would probably necessitate a custom seat post clamp. The tubing of the lower part of the seat mast of my X-Night was pretty thin mid span between the bottom bracket and top tube compared to non-ISP framesets which I think specify thicker tube for handling the fore/aft/lateral stresses of a seat post. That leads me to conclude that even with a custom seat post clamp, while the inner finish is most likely not going to be suitable for a seat post, the thickness of the lower portion of the seat mast is also most likely insufficient and would fracture under such use.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Serge58

by Serge58

Extra tall seat clamp for Helium was available at one time. If it is still too short, scratch it.
Cutting off ISP on Helium is the most idiotic thing I've heard all week.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

What about make one piece (frame+post+saddle) like Fuchs bike?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

hasbeen

by hasbeen

It all depends on the internal diameter obviously. Contact Ridley and find out if they made that way. A lot of places did just in case it needs to be done. My Casati is that way, with a round tube all the way down. I will cut it down some day as I think it is a good idea. ISP's are kinda dumb. Remember to leave room for a clamp.
The other option is to put a seat collar at where it is currently cut and slide a seatpost in. Extended seat tube with shortened seat post. Works great for me.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

spookyload

by spookyload

As mentioned above, Ridely does make a taller seat clamp, and you can put a ton of spacers under that. I could see an easy 4cm added by doing that. I would be shocked if the frame still fit you in the top tube with that much in spacers though.

weptunus

by weptunus

Serge58 wrote:Cutting off ISP on Helium is the most idiotic thing I've heard all week.

why is it stupid? isn't that what ridley themselves did with the helium sl?

it's a new unused frame, but the integrated seatpost was cut to short for the current (not so smart) owner, he's now trying to get rid of the frame to get a new one... I'll check the taller seatclamp option, thanks for the replies

User Name

by User Name

weptunus wrote:cutting off.....

What happened with this? Did you find out if it's possible?

I just bought an old-ish one (I think about 2008), and I'm wondering if it's a possible future option for me,
because I have a bad habit of wrecking stuff, especially seatposts and clamps. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

weptunus

by weptunus

I didn't do anything on the frame, I still have it though...
I'm planning on getting rid of a lot of stuff if I have the time to clean my mess... Maybe I'll try this to get the frame sold...

User Name

by User Name

Thanks. Inside the tube looks a little rough for a post to get in there, but I only had a quick look when I was putting it together.

I love the frame. I don't think I've owned a frame that was made after 2010, so it's not up against a lot, but this is clearly my favourite. This is my first with a 1.5" lower headset bearing, so it seems stiffer in the front.
Incidentally, my 56 is 1103g, totally bare, which I believe is a little porkier than was spruiked at the time.

I remember a friend paid a lot for new one, partly because the pricks in the shop told him it was 900g. :D He got it as a complete bike, so he's never stripped it to weigh it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

User Name

by User Name

I can't find the Ridly spacers. Spewing.

I've had my lower back/hips/hammy flexibilty issues fixed recently (I stopped doing hanging leg raises, and after 4 months I was able to raise my saddles over 3cm, back to where they were a few years ago!!! I'm not kidding! What a waste of 3 years, plonking around with my saddles really low and hurting my knee. The raises were tightening my hip flexors much more than I realized, despite me stretching them all the time), and now the mast is too low.

I made one spacer out of aluminium, but it's only 3mm thick. I might make a couple out of some type of hard wood. Ha.