Looking at new frame options: Cipollini, Cannondale, Cervelo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

Hi,

While looking for reviews on Cipollini frames, I had come across a few threads on this forum relating to Cipollini. At the moment i am at a cross road trying to decide what my next frame should be. I know I want to use Campagnolo Record EPS groupset and Shamal wheels. I am not sure how many of the frames listed below are EPS compatible due to the charge port requirements.

At the moment the frames I am interested are:
Cipollini Bond
Cipollini Logos
Cipollini RB800
Cervelo R5 - 2015
Cannondale Super Six High Mod - 2015

Can all the frames listed above cater for the installation of the EPS battery inside the frame ?

Additionally, anyone here who owns either a Cipollini Bond/Logos or RB 800 could give their feedback ?

Part of the confusion is that I am not sure what sort of frame I want. I only got back into criterium racing and loving it. I would describe my build as slim and short. I don't have any sprinting firepower either. I enjoy riding both flats and hills.

Speaking of hills, the Cipollini frames listed above, are they suitable for both long and short climbs ?

Additionally, how does the aforementioned Cervelo and Cannondale frames rate when compared to the Cipollini BOND or RB800 ? I am going to test ride the Cervelo R5 2015 frame later on this week.

Any feedback given will be most appreciated

davidalone

by davidalone

a simple check the cipolini website will show you that the RB800 and bond are both offered default with EPS11, so im pretty sure they are compatible. as fr the logos, why not shoot cipolini an email? you may be better off asking them abut the internal battery issue as well.

http://www.cipolliniusa.com/contact-us/

the cipollini geometries are very aggressive and not for everyone as it can be a challenge to get a position on them without alot of spacers.

all the bikes are good, you're really splitting hairs here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I guess you 've already read the reviews on these bikes and their websites... It depends on what you like since all these are top bikes ridden by pro teams at top level.

R5 and Super Six are much lighter frames than any Cipollini. Cipollini bond and RB800 are lighter than RB1000 and Logos but not light (Colnago C60 is not a light frame. Pinarello Dogma is not a light frame etc. etc.). Of course you can climb on a Cipollini and you can build a sub 6.8 kg bike. Their stifness and responsiveness are unquestionable. Their geometry is more agressive but racing proven. Nothing to worry about. All Cipollini frames are electronic group compatible as well.

The day I got my Cipollini there were two other customers in the store looking at my frame. The one was riding a Cervelo R5 and the other had just build a Specialized SL4 (both 2015 models). The first said my Cipollini was his dream bike. The second looked at his 'made in Taiwan' sticker and admitted this alone explained the difference in design and construction quality between his boring SL4 and my flashy handmade in Italy bond.

Again, that does not mean Cipollini is a better frame in terms of performance. But it is something truly exceptional.
I will write a more detailed review in this thread soon:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=128557

tinozee

by tinozee

I like the look of the Bond and RB800, super cool frames. The Evo and Tarmac are my favorite big brand frames. The C60 would be my other top choice.

Kgt, the paint on your frame is sweet! looking forward to your ride review.

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

thanks for the replies :-)

@davidalone when you say "the cipollini geometries are very aggressive" are you implying geometries from all Cipollini models or just the RB1000 ?

@kgt - you are the reason why I started looking at the BOND a bit more seriously. I have been waiting for your review as well and how long do we all need to wait ? :-)

One of the main reasons why I like the Cipollini frames is that the carbon walls feels thick in contrast to say R5, S-Works Tarmac and SuperSix High Mod which feel rather thin and you can see the tubes flex little when you squeeze it. These lighter frames just worries me too much that the frame might snap alot more easily. Do you still feel the BOND is stiff and responsive ?

I did take a BOND for a test ride last weekend but it was on a different drive train and wheels and only rode 1km on it but it felt nice. There was definitely more road buzz coming through in contrast to my current bike. The "responsiveness" factor I couldn't quite test out.

As I mentioned earlier I am extremely small and weigh around 62kg so I don't think I need to worry about if a frame is 1050 grams or 800 grams.

I do want a racing frame but not as aggressive as the RB1000. The RB1000 would destroy my back. Do you feel that the geometry of your BOND is "racing" standard ? How does it compare to your C59 ? Ideally I want a frame I can race hard on during criteriums and go for long distance rides comfortably. Perhaps once the road season starts next year in April, I can do some road racing on it as well.

fa63

by fa63

As far as geometry goes, even the Bond and the RB800 have pretty short head tubes; for example 152 mm for size L with 56 cm top tube where a 56 cm Cervelo R5 has a 173 mm head tube. May not work very well for those without good flexibility on the bike, at least not without running a big stack of spacers and/or an upturned stem.

It seems the Logos has a slightly taller head tube across the sizes (170 mm for size L).

kgt

by kgt

Mr Rouleur you 'll have your review soon. : )

Keep in mind Bond has a taller headtube than RB800 (a large BOND is smaller than a large RB800) and even taller than RB1000. It is also more comfortable. The 'road buzz' on the BOND is mainly due to the superstiff front monocoque triangle. The rear stays provide enough comfort though. Friends of mine who had recently bought the RB1000 - and absolutely loved it - ended up selling it because it was just too unforgiving for the greek roads.
It is true the carbon walls are much thicker in contrast to say R5, S-Works Tarmac and SuperSix High Mod. That does not mean these frames are dangerous in any way but they are more fragile in case of an accident. Thicker carbon walls is something common among Italian frames from Colnago, Pinarello et al. (that is why these are heavier) who want their frames to last for many many years.
I insist you should buy a Cipollini only if you appreciate its design, manufacturing identity and exclusivity. Otherwise there are many other choises.
BTW my LBS owner is a very experienced rider. He is a Cipollini and Cervelo importer and a Cannondale and Specialized dealer. He rides a RB800 himself...

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

I have seen Cipollini RB1000s only at the criteriums but only a handful. Even the BONDs are rare to see on the local roads of mine. I only found out from local bike shop that getting hold of small and medium frames has been difficult as these sizes are going into Asia as a priority rather than coming to Australia.

I am loving the Anthracite color scheme with a hint of the tre colore on the seat stay. It will look even better with dark label Bora 35s

When is the ETA of the review ? ;-) You know your review might help alot of other people wanting to pull the trigger on the BOND. It's always good to read a fan's view of the frame rather than a journalist's view.

arthurf

by arthurf

I had an RB800 and whilst it looked amazing, I don't feel that the ride lived up to the hype, it just felt average, my Foil is much faster and feels far more racy than the Cipo did. As for Cipo's customer service, the less said the better (read one of my previous posts if interested) and many of the distributor reps will echo that. The Bond is the model with the least issues and seems to be the most reliable. The RB800 is reportedly slightly more fragile due to the 'low weight' (it's not that light weight at all, mine was 1180g for a 56 w/o headset or BB).

If you are set on a Cipo, I would say go for a Bond but be prepared for a lengthy wait if the frame ever has to be warrantied (10wks+)

maverick_1

by maverick_1

MrRouleur

You mentioned that you're extremely small in size.
I'm approx 164cm, 60kg and I ride the RB1k. It's definitely a stiff bike but I don't find it uncomfortable, even with the short head tube. The RB1k is built like a tank, with thick layers of paint and weighs approx 1.2kg in XS, definitely not light to begin with. However, of my 20 years of riding the RB1k handles the best amongst all the frames I've owned so far, matched only by Colnago.

russianbear

by russianbear

If you're willing to put up Cipollini money for a frame, have you considered going custom carbon? Sarto, Formigli, Casati will give you Italian craftsmanship in the exact geo you want and with tubing options. There's also Parlee and Crumpton in the US.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

@russianbear - I've thought about a Sarto as well.. I had a chance to ride a Sarto (asolo) as well but I can't remember now how the ride was because it was during a very wet and cold gran fondo. For me it's all about Italian frames.

Sarto could still be a possibility as well.