Hub recommendations for Enve 6.7 Tub build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sd5500

by sd5500

Thanks in advance. Long time reader, first time poster.

This will be a race day set for flat and small hill RRs and crits. I already have an 1150 gr wheelset for hilly races, thus the 6.7 over the 3.4s. I'm a Cat 4, 5'6" (168ish cm), and 155 lbs (70 kg).

Number 1 criteria for decision I think should be durability. In races, holding your line is imperative, which can lead to hitting some rough spots/pot holes.

I'd like to put weight next, but I know on this set, for this application, and with the weight being in the center of the wheel, it should not matter much. Nevertheless, I'm obsessing over it a bit.

Lack of constant adjustments is important.

Cost is last. I'm not going DT 180s, so everything else is pretty close.

DT 240s is what was recommended by Fairwheel Bikes, but before I spoke with them, I was leaning towards True MIG 70 & MAG 170. I just saw the post on the broken MAG 170 Flange, and I'm wondering if thats why they didn't recommend those hubs to me? Thoughts on 240s or other considerations, maybe CK R45s?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

My vote is king without a doubt. If you want to go super lightweight maybe DT180s over the Tune as I have yet to hear of any issues with 180s, maybe that's just because they are fairly rare around here.

Razor

by Razor

mattyNor wrote:My vote is king without a doubt. If you want to go super lightweight maybe DT180s over the Tune as I have yet to hear of any issues with 180s, maybe that's just because they are fairly rare around here.

I have a pair of the older CK hubs, they are still going strong. They are not the smoothest hub though, a little drag on acceleration. Are the new ones smoother i.e spin up with little drag? Personally, I like the sound of the CK hubs do the new ones still have that same zing zing zing sound? :D

sd5500

by sd5500

Thanks guys, I'm going with the WI T11s.

tinozee

by tinozee

You can't go wrong with those top four or five hubs. 240s, kings, WIs, they are all great. Agreed about durability too. With the deeper rims you will feel the difference. I actually love the durability of my deeper and wider tubular wheels, I beat on them and they don't die. I prefer a set of 404s wioth 25mm tires over a shallow or box 21mm rim for both durability and stability on roads with tons of debris, roots, cobbles, etc. Hitting a stone or pine cone with the wider rim is so much more stable.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I like my Tune 70/170 combo, never had an issue with them. Hard to go wrong with the T11s and 240s though.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would go with tune mag 150 rear hub, and any tune front hub would work well.

indywagon

by indywagon

sd5500 wrote:Thanks guys, I'm going with the WI T11s.

I'm in a similar situation in that I'm rebuilding a 2011 Zipp 303 wheel with an 11-speed hub and looking at the same hub models. Why did you decide on the White Industries T11? What set it apart from the Chris King?

Thanks,
Chris

sd5500

by sd5500

2 things I kept reading about with the King rear hub, 1. special tool needed. 2. More drag compared to others.

Everything I keep reading about the T11s, is how smooth and durable they are.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The White Industry hub is one of the best out there. If Shimano did Dura Ace in 20H front there would be no reason to use anything else.

Slagter

by Slagter

sd5500 wrote:
2 things I kept reading about with the King rear hub,

1. special tool needed.

2. More drag compared to others.

Everything I keep reading about the T11s, is how smooth and durable they are.

1. Special tool needed? Yes. But if this is a racing wheelset, it will be no problem for you to hand the wheelset to your LBS once a year for servicing while you're riding your training wheelset.

2. More Drag? I'm pretty sure thats not true. CK are known for there obsessiveness with precision.

When I build my racing wheels, I was undecided for a long time between CK R45 and WI T11, because they both are great. T11 are definitely more durable and need less servicing. But CK R45 are a little bit better for racing (and the freehub just sounds lush...). I chose R45, but my next wheelset will be with T11. bm0p700f has written so many good things about T11, that I just have to try them....

Take a look at this hub review from DCRWheels and read both the review on T11 and R45. I'm pretty sure that'll make your decision easier regardless of your choise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Razor wrote:
mattyNor wrote:...

Personally, I like the sound of the CK hubs do the new ones still have that same zing zing zing sound? :D

The newer R45 hubs pretty much sound silent compared to the older classic hubs. You can hear them, but they lost that awesome sound of the classics.