S-Works Tarmac is bloody obease

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yup, we are. I just misunderstood your wording on this. As well, I wanted to point out what is typical here, which is pictures of builds and then weights with a bit of cheating.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

My 58cm tarmac disk R785/Ui2 was 8.1kg with cages garmin mount speed plays and stock 40s, bars, stem and everything else, my SL4/DA9000 was 7kg neat with training wheels. Guess which one rides better ;) The only time I've actually noticed the weight was carrying it up stairs hahahha.

Point being that yes this is WW but put some time on the frame and then decide what components to lower weight with that will compliment the way these frames ride rather than just worrying about throwing parts at it.

I've thought about putting the SL4 on a strictly carbon change out diet for sh#ts and giggles and then remember that it will just live on the trainer for most of its life now because the "heavier" bike is 100% more plesant to ride on the awful roads around here. Personally I think the 2105 Tarmacs are all about ride quality rather than WW setup.
Using Tapatalk

coneill0422

by coneill0422

I'm just in the middle of building up my new S-Works Tarmac SL3 and I'm surprised at what it feels like just as a frameset. I am upgrading from a CAAD10 Dura Ace bike and am already wondering about where I can save weight on the build since it seems to not be on the "feather light" side of the spectrum (though I could also be ruining my expectations with my buddy's built up Parlee Z5 SLi with Campy Super Record). Was wondering where I can easily and cheaply make some changes that would really matter.

Build:
S-Works Tarmac SL3 (54cm)
William System 58 Clinchers (with Open Corsa Tires)
S-Works Crankset (updating the chainrings to CT2 Stronglights)
Dura Ace 7900 Groupset (with Ultegra 6800 Brakes, Chain, Cassette)
Specialized Comp-Set Stem
Fizik Kurve Snake Aluminum Seat
3T Ergonova Team Stealth Bars
3T Doric-LTD Seatpost
Speedplay Zero Peddals
Last edited by coneill0422 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coneill0422

by coneill0422

Here are my build pictures so far...

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Without particularly trying. I got my Tarmac down to the 14 pound range.

And that's with a heavy SRM on it!

Dura Ace Di2 throughout except Ulegra Di2 rear mech with Berner Cage
3T LTD finishing kit (bars, stem, seatpost)
Nokon cables
TRP Brakes
Selle San Marco Aspide saddle
Carbon tubulars (one is a Roval, one Enve - after the Roval rim failed, it was rebuilt on Enve)
And - with a Sram XG11-32 cassette!

Used the bike for 3 weeks of climbing in Spain. Amazing. But it's my UCI race bike, so can't be too light. It's comes out at 6.8kg when I put heavier deep section race wheels on.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

coneill0422

by coneill0422

That is a nice stealth build, I see you have q rings on there how do you like them do you think they help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coneill0422

by coneill0422

Built up my new S-Works SL3 Tarmac, current weight of the build is 7 kg's.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Any chance you can enlarge those pics coneill0422??

I'm finding it hard to see...
Official cafe stop tester

coneill0422

by coneill0422

HA, didn't think I got them large enough and its good to know that I was thinking correctly. I was using a new upload site and it didn't quite turn out the size I wanted...

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I got my tarmac expert sl4 to below 6.8kg and I'm still running the 6700, 105 cassette and chain. I've recently bought ti spindles for the 6700c pedals and got an ax phoenix which I need to fit. Buying exotica is much more fun than saving for a groupset....though I will be getting red 22 soon I hope!

Vicelord

by Vicelord

Lose some weight on your body, it's way cheaper. Just saying. At 60.7kg and 178cm I feel like I hardly care what my bike weighs.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Vicelord wrote:Lose some weight on your body, it's way cheaper. Just saying. At 60.7kg and 178cm I feel like I hardly care what my bike weighs.

You assume the OP (or anyone else here) isn't already at a good weight or one they're happy with.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

4ibanez wrote:
Vicelord wrote:Lose some weight on your body, it's way cheaper. Just saying. At 60.7kg and 178cm I feel like I hardly care what my bike weighs.

You assume the OP (or anyone else here) isn't already at a good weight or one they're happy with.

I assumed nothing, was merely making a point that it's cheaper and likely healthier to lose two lbs off your body than off your bike.

gus300

by gus300

seems about right.

i am in the process of building my '15 S-works tarmac 54cm with Dura Ace, Enve 3.4 clincher, quarq power meter and it should be on the range of 6.5-6.9 kg once i get everything i will weight them and then a final weight of complete bike.

coneill0422

by coneill0422

Vicelord wrote:
4ibanez wrote:

I assumed nothing, was merely making a point that it's cheaper and likely healthier to lose two lbs off your body than off your bike.

Right because this forum is called "Losing Weight Weenies", and we should all just try to lose body weight instead of droping obcure weight from our rides...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com