S-Works Tarmac is bloody obease

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric01

by eric01

Switch to tubs, save on the rim weight + good quality tub tires can save weight over clincher tires too.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kentbrockman

by kentbrockman

From what I can tell, the SRM is only adding ~80 grams over the stock S-Works spider. Well worth it IMO.

Here is a good baseline I was using to predict my final build weight:

https://redrockbicycle.com/news/the-201 ... ks-tarmac/

I should be a little less with the RED 22 rather than Dura-Ace. I should also be a little lighter with my wheelset.

They are claiming 13.7 pounds?!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Well, I guess that proves my point. No pedals for one thing, and the picture with the scale can't see rest of bike......its a store.....who knows? :lol: :x

aaric

by aaric

Standard SRM adds about 100g: Compact Quarq was about 90. Standard tubes are 100g ea. Lightweight tubes (conti supersonic or latex) can get you down to 50 for 100g savings. You can lose quite a bit on a lightweight cables: iLinks or the like will save 50+ grams.

Sram red Brakes are relatively porky: eecycleworks or planet-x will save a good chunk of weight (60g per)...eecycleworks are $$$ though.

Weigh your bottle cages. You can get 18-20g carbon china clones pretty commonly from ebay. I'd wager there's the opportunity for 50g savings there. Perhaps more if your bolts aren't aluminum, but I think the s-works comes with aluminum bottle cage bolts.

So:
tubes: 100g ($25)
Brakes: 120g ($120) planet-x
Cables: 50g ($100) (could go ti cables or powercordz for more)
Cages: 50g ($40) china clones

~320g for less than $1/gram.

Could also look at the weight of your bartape - it looks thick/heavy. Chainrings might be a place too. Sram rings are heavy. Can't tell which rings you are running though.

Krull

by Krull

Benno wrote:202's are like 1500 grams. Would be easy to lose 3/4 of a pound right there.

I will never understand the sense of carbon-clinchers.

Benno

by Benno

Well I do have 202 firecrest disc wheels on my Defy but I agree. Coulda built a lighter wheel for 1/3 the price.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

My 58 pro disk R785/Ui2 is 1200g heavier with stock everything + quarq, praxis rings, k edge mount, Dave-o cages and speedplays. Doesnt seem so heavy now lol
Using Tapatalk

boots2000

by boots2000

Is your cassette a Red cassette? Or is it a Force level cassette?
As others have said, wheels are not so light.
I say keep the SRM- it only adds about 60 grams.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

According to Trek a 56cm Emonda SL8 Red weighs 15.01lbs. Your Tarmac weight doesn't seem so bad considering Tarmacs aren't the lightest frames around for the money.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Both of my '15 SW Tarmacs weigh between ~14.5-15lbs, depending on what wheels I have on at the moment. That's with everything, including head unit mount.

Both are posted in the intro forum, one with 11spd Red and one with SR EPS, both with Quarq's. So, sounds about right to me.

Have you ridden it yet? I forgot about weight all together after I rode mine. Best bikes I've ever ridden.

kentbrockman

by kentbrockman

aaric wrote:Standard SRM adds about 100g: Compact Quarq was about 90. Standard tubes are 100g ea. Lightweight tubes (conti supersonic or latex) can get you down to 50 for 100g savings. You can lose quite a bit on a lightweight cables: iLinks or the like will save 50+ grams.

Sram red Brakes are relatively porky: eecycleworks or planet-x will save a good chunk of weight (60g per)...eecycleworks are $$$ though.

Weigh your bottle cages. You can get 18-20g carbon china clones pretty commonly from ebay. I'd wager there's the opportunity for 50g savings there. Perhaps more if your bolts aren't aluminum, but I think the s-works comes with aluminum bottle cage bolts.

So:
tubes: 100g ($25)
Brakes: 120g ($120) planet-x
Cables: 50g ($100) (could go ti cables or powercordz for more)
Cages: 50g ($40) china clones

~320g for less than $1/gram.

Could also look at the weight of your bartape - it looks thick/heavy. Chainrings might be a place too. Sram rings are heavy. Can't tell which rings you are running though.

This is great feedback. Love these simple options to get me closer to where I want to be.

I'm on the S-Works chainrings. I'll have to look into weight on these.

em3

by em3

kentbrockman wrote:

...sans pedals, sans H2O bottle cages

Comparing apples to oranges will only result in heightening ur weightweenie grief.

Here is a good apples to apples comparison for your bike.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129270 ...tubulars and no powermeter make up the largest difference

EM3
Last edited by em3 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

the tarmac frame is NOT light.
it does well in stiffness/weight ratios because it's obscenely stiff, not obscenely light..

as above, cockpit - bar/stem/post can be lighter...
tubulars, obviously will drop you at least 200g in wheels alone
titanium spindles, skewers, etc. - but without tubulars no way you're going to touch 14lb with that.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

em3 wrote:
kentbrockman wrote:

...sans pedals, sans H2O bottle cages

Comparing apples to oranges will only result in heightening ur weightweenie grief.

Here is a good apples to apples comparison for your bike.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129270 ...tubulars and no powermeter make up the largest difference

EM3

All except the last picture with the bike on the scale showing 6.13 kg. That's the only picture without pedals and cages......so its heavier and quite comparable to the OP's build.

em3

by em3

Huh? We are making the same point. If the bike in the website posted above was weighed complete with pedals and cages, it would weigh closer to the OP's bike ( approx 350 grams) . However the bike in website still has the weight advantage with no SRM (approx 80-90 gms) and tubular wheels/tires (approx 250-300 gms)

EM3
Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the above

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com