S-Works Tarmac is bloody obease

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

otoman

by otoman

Let me put down my ice cream spoon to agree with the body weight part of this whole equation :lol:

OP, nice-ish build. The Zipp 202's clinchers are a pointless exercise in spending. They don't make your ride light, they only make you poor. I'd sell those things on the bay, take the couple thousand you'll get on those, use 1/2 of that money for a custom built clincher wheelset that will last longer, brake better, etc etc. yet is the same weight as the 202 CC's. If you can go tubie, swap the 202's for tubular, boom, huge weight saving.

Unless you have to have the name brand SRM, sell that too and buy a Stages or Quarq. Not a ton of weight saving there but a lot of $$ savings.

THEN, take the money you now have back from the carbon clinchers and get some carbon versions of the same bar and seatpost. Stem.... leave it. It's fine. Saddle, whatever you want that makes your a$$ happy.... At the end of the day, you'll have a PM equipped bike that is lighter and brakes better AND allows you to use latex tubes.
:welcome: :beerchug:
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bfno

by bfno

Yes IMHO 202 clinchers are antonyms. What use is there in a heavy climbing wheelset? I'd swap them for a tubby pair if I were you (if you can handle tubbies that is) and have a cheapish aluminium clincher training wheelset.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

Benno

by Benno

Lol I have some 202 clinchers and couldn't agree more. Though I didn't have a ton of selection since I needed disc brake wheels (the Zipps came with the bike). . They seem pretty pointless. I was surprised at how heavy they are.
They would make more sense if they cost $2500 less.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Agree on the 202 clinchers. 1400 grammes will get you some 40mm -50mm deep carbon clinchers.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Benno

by Benno

The 202 discs are over 1500 grams :-O

CBJ

by CBJ

Nefarious86 wrote:My 58cm tarmac disk R785/Ui2 was 8.1kg with cages garmin mount speed plays and stock 40s, bars, stem and everything else, my SL4/DA9000 was 7kg neat with training wheels. Guess which one rides better ;) The only time I've actually noticed the weight was carrying it up stairs hahahha.

Point being that yes this is WW but put some time on the frame and then decide what components to lower weight with that will compliment the way these frames ride rather than just worrying about throwing parts at it.

I've thought about putting the SL4 on a strictly carbon change out diet for sh#ts and giggles and then remember that it will just live on the trainer for most of its life now because the "heavier" bike is 100% more plesant to ride on the awful roads around here. Personally I think the 2105 Tarmacs are all about ride quality rather than WW setup.

I'm doing the same type of test soon. My Roubaix is 6.8kg and I'm getting a GT Grade X alu frame with hydraulic dics. Not sure what of the weight on the GT yet but should be more than the Tarmac of course.

djconnel

by djconnel

Yes -- cables and housings add a surprising amount of mass. Excellent $/gram payoff.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

cut the steerer, you'll save some weight.

chris8382

by chris8382

Even at 15lbs I would be happy. Can't get mine below 16lbs!

Vicelord

by Vicelord

What's crazy is my aluminum bike with alu clinchers is 6.85kg. Tarmac is so heavy lol

lechat

by lechat

[quote="DWatkinsBSB"]You only get what you give.

You will need to toil for hours in obscure German websites, consider dropping to 80 kilos to be able to ride that ridiculously expensive seat post, curse the heavens while you are trying to bead together your brake cables, go easy when lubing your chain, stretch that bar tape to use the least amount possible and suffer with the first world problem of how to get a cadence magnet on without a ugly zip tie on your shiny crank arm now that you have a titanium spindle pedal.

...and it will all be worth it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
Not really necessary at all. My Caad7 sits at 12.7lbs with pedals, 1 cage and a mirror! Probably have ~ $2k invested. Only dedicated WW components are the KCNC brakes and the Parlee FD clamp. Have done some tuning though.