Help with a Bike Decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

photocycler

by photocycler

Hey guys

Having a hard time making a decision. I have a TI Lynskey with SRAM force 22, red brakes, enve stem and a nice set of Mavic SLS wheels. I need a bike with fenders for winter riding so considering selling this to find a bike that has fenders and discs to ride year round.

I found a great deal on a carbon Roubaix where I would just switch my sram over to. The Roubaix with discs will be heavier but more versatile.

Or am I being silly and should just keep the Lynskey, maybe get a cheap winter wheel set and try and affix fenders

Pics attached for reference

ImageImage

ITTY

by ITTY

I'm really getting tired of these posts asking how you should spend your money. Ride your bike. Be happy.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

photocycler

by photocycler

Lucky for you there are plenty of other posts to read.

I don't need a forum to ride a bike, I use a forum for feedback-try it sometime you may appreciate it.
Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: No need to quote the above....

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Keep your Lynskey! And get rid of the gum sidewall tyres!

In my view, Ti is the holy grail of winter bikes, so just get some aftermarket fenders. There are some good ones out there (SKS, etc.)...
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Not sure if a Roubaix Disc actually takes fenders.

But I'll tell you what ... Nothing will ride as good as your Lynskey.

photocycler

by photocycler

The Roubaix fits fenders and I can run up to 28mm tires. Really having a hard time here. I could add fenders to the Lynskey but I am not a fan of the current fender installations I see

Benno

by Benno

I say different horses for different courses. Why compromise your main summer ride when you can pick up a nice winter bike for like $1500 (or less) . That's what I did. Bought a cheaper Giant Revolt and have 28c slick, 35c gravel, and 35c studded ice tires for it. Then my summer bike stays in its blissful cocoon of fair weather riding.
Plus here from Nov-April is mostly - 10°F and colder, you're wearing so much clothing and socks there is no way to notice the extra weight and spongyness of a cheaper ride/parts spec lol.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I would definitely keep the Linskey, and look for a cheaper "bargain" winter bike. You may be able to find a used disc bike off ebay, maybe a "retired" CX bike, and just slap some wider tires on there to ride on. You're going to be spending a lot more money on a compromise bike to use year round, than if you just bought a beater for the winter and left your Linskey ready for the other three months of the year.

photocycler

by photocycler

The thing is, ultimately I would prefer one bike to do it all. Once the days get longer, as ing as its not raining too hard I tend to ride.

From a looks perspective I may prefer the Lynskey, it will definitely be lighter. Stock the Roubaix is 21 lbs, grant it with a lighter Group and Wheels were most of the weight is, should be able to get down to 18lbs

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Seems like your mind is made up, and we're just wasting time at this point. Do it and go ride.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You can't look at the Roubaix without also looking at the Trek Domaine. The ultimate four season bike IMO - excellent hidden fender mounts. Lower end disc options (4 series) are heavier but that would be similar to most brands. Top of the line (6.9) still has the fender mounts - don't know if any other brands do that.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

eric

by eric

Riding in the rain, what I assume you mean by winter riding, is hard on bikes. The water kills bearings and the grit gets into everything. I have to replace the headset on my rain bike yearly.

It makes more sense to save your nice bike and use an old or low end bike for rain rides.

SKS and Crudracer make fenders that fit on race bikes and do not need dedicated mounts.

photocycler

by photocycler

Interesting enough, the Roubaix is only 1475-I was planning on upgrading all the components if it was my main, but can easily keep it as is with the 9 speed and have a carbon rain bike which can also be my gravel bike.

Or, they have a similar aluminum model (diverge) which has 8 speed and is an aluminum frame for 1000.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Rain is hard on bearings, but if you take the right precautions, you can save them. I repacked my bearings with marine grease, and other than a slight viscosity penalty, the waterproof nature of the grease really saves the bearings. I do this for both my bottom bracket as well as my headset.

stevefwt

by stevefwt

Get the Roubaix! Look at it! Don't ride in the rain....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com