Specialized Venge Expert vs BMC TMR02 Ultegra

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rick797

by Rick797

Which one should i pick between the two i mentioned in the title? My LBS sells them at the same price, both aero frames with Ultegra 6800 and alloy training wheels. I like both of them estetically. Main differences are the hidden rear brake of the BMC (not hidden in the Venge) and the FSA SLK Light crankset on the Venge, while the BMC has the standard Ultegra crankset. The Venge also has a carbon S-Works Aerofly aero road handlebar, while the BMC has a standard alloy one. Cheers, any advice or opinion is welcome :beerchug:

sjwelsh19

by sjwelsh19

Having ridden both bikes, (the TMR01 and Sworks venue) I would buy the sworks venge.

The brakes on the TMR02 are the biggest pain, switching from training wheels to other wheels of different diameters (rim width), you have to adjust spacers, and being a bike mechanic myself it still takes forever. The ride quality of the tmr01 was very harsh, it doesn't have nearly as much compliance as the venge.

Theres a reason why you don't see any of the BMC pro team riders riding the bike. I am a cat1 bike racer, racing domestically in the US and still would not ride this bike if i had a choice. Venge all the way!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ophiravina

by ophiravina

I would also go for the venge, the frame looks better, a lot of pepole ride it and it has much better spec. nothing to lose :thumbup:

Rick797

by Rick797

Thanks for the replies folks! And yeah, i have noticed not a lot of BMC riders use the TMR01, not even people like Gilbert who, as an all-rounder, could do with some of the aero aspects of the BMC, but instead prefer to go with the SLR01. So is the SLK Light crankset better than the standard Ultegra?

mattyNor

by mattyNor

The only advantage is it actual bb-pf-whatever30 that the Venge's bb shell is made for. The Ultegra would need adaptors and thus added chance or creaking. I prefer the Ulterga cranks in all other aspects though.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I rode these same bikes back to back when bike hunting earlier this year. I loved how planted the TMR felt and I thought it was much more compliant than it was made out to be and climbed as well as I'm capable of (short punches only on the test ride). The Venge Expert gave similar sensations except I felt the Venge accelerated a touch quicker and offered a little smoother ride (in contrast to most internet opinions of it being a brutally stiff torture device). In the end, due to price, convenience of maintenance, and a slightly smoother ride, I went with an S-Works Venge. The the qualities that I appreciated in the Venge over the TMR are even more evident in the S-Works. I'm 3800 miles into using it as my main training and racing setup and I'm thoroughly satisfied. I had to talk myself down from buying a newer one this year just because.

Rick797

by Rick797

Cheers folks! Guess i'm going to go with the Venge! I don't exactly now when i'm going to get it as the last time i saw my LBS selling it was a couple of months ago, hope they still have it cause i wanna buy it!

grouk

by grouk

i order a spec venge late august and and still waiting

Zoro

by Zoro

We were supposed to get a Venge as a team order September/October - and still waiting. I was thinking a FELT AR FRD was a good equivalent.

russianbear

by russianbear

The FRD is quite a ways ahead of the Venge in the aero department.

OP, I would go with the venge as I've read too many bad stories about the tmr brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com