Super Record 4 arm chainset initial views...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solarider

by solarider

At this price (twice the cost of Dura Ace if you shop around), I am sorry to say yes.

The current design is difficult to beat, and Campagnolo have gone and proven it themselves! I cannot flex the current rings with my fingers. I can with these.

It will be interesting to see what the pros make of them (probably mincemeat!).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I am looking forward to Mega-Torque in a couple of years time. By then they might have run out of snazzy names and it will be the last ...

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

FWB also mentioned that chainring flex is really negligible given their shape when pedalling, and energy lost in the cranks might be returned too, so don't get too hung up on the loss of performance and enjoy how it looks on your bike. With the money spent, you should try to love it more!

(Hope you ended the morning ride before the sun came out all ablazing today!)

solarider

by solarider

I don't care about power loss, but I do care about the chainring flexing and grinding against the front mech cage. I haven't had that experience since the day of square taper!

wingguy

by wingguy

Valbrona wrote:I would like these things more if there was no need to shell out £50 on tooling. The amount of fangled tooling you need to service Power-Ultra-Over Torque is mind bogglingly stupid, and this is why I no longer buy Campag cranksets.

Where the heck do you buy your tools if you spend £50 on a hex wrench?

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Why grinding against front mech? I thought the new front derailleur didn't need additional trimming anymore, and rubbing was eliminated.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Record 10 speed front mechs do not need trimiming either, so it nothing new.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

solarider wrote:I don't care about power loss, but I do care about the chainring flexing and grinding against the front mech cage. I haven't had that experience since the day of square taper!

Your getting the chain to rub the cage due to flex of the chainring/crank? Clearance is ok when under light load but it rubs when you load it up?

I'am asking because I haven't had any problems running the new crank on my latest build.

solarider

by solarider

Exactly. Clearance is generous unloaded, but I can flex the rings under load. I am a tall chap, but not heavy, and whilst I woukd love to think that I had immense power, the reality is somewhat different. Not what I had hoped for.

mattr

by mattr

I don't know why, but i always get the impression that Campag design stuff with flair, make a few sets for testing and their CAE guys just look at it, shrug in an italianesque manner, and go for coffee.

Where as Shimano have an entire office full of quietly industrious geeks plugging thousands of numbers and hundred of lines of code into powerful workstations to simulate and optimise the mechanical side of the design, before the styling people even know whats coming.

Then the styling people just look at it, shrug in a Japanese manner, and go for coffee.

A few things i've seen on new groupsets lately seems to reinforce this view.

kgt

by kgt

Long term performance at the highest level and lab tests do not support your view...

mattr

by mattr

You mean there is virtually nothing to distinguish between the two major manufacturers except for personal choice and a misplaced reliance on history and past performance?

I know.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Awesome.....two pages in and we are finally back around to a shimano vs campag debate. I should have made a bet on that.......

solarider

by solarider

Unfortunately somewhat inevitable this time since Campagnolo have clearly taken their lead from Shimano, but failed to produce anything nearly as good.

Although when I started the thread I was hoping it would end differently with a glowing review and no room for such a debate.......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Lol. I appreciate that.