Di2 9070 Front Mech adjustment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Just had the chance to install 9070 on one of my bikes. Overall very impressed as you might expect with the general ease of setup.

My question is if anyone has programmed their FD to shift quicker ..

I am getting a big of lag it feels like shifting into the big ring. I had some trouble adjusting the trim on the FD to not rub when it was in the little ring and the 26 out back. I have that particular limit screw backed quite a ways out so it's as close to the frame as it can get.

Anyhoo, any ideas would be fun. Either way, I dig the wires. Now bring on wireless :)
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

You followed the dealers manual instructions to the letter for the installation and setup, right?
There is no speed adjustment for the FD, only for the rd.
What chainrings and chain are you using?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

To the letter - but like I said I did have difficulty getting it not to rub on the little sign when in the 26.

I have praxis rings and an s-works crank so not much flex there ... Im not sure what else would cause lag. I will play with it more today.
Just ride ..

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

check your derailleur clamp to see if it is tight enough. the lag could be a loose clamp bolt thus making it appear to shift slow. the other thing is that the derailleur could be off at an angle and not parallel to your chainring.

merkyworks

by merkyworks

did you set the screw that controls the angle of the cage? Also depending on the type of mounting you have to use it is important to install the little steel shim between the frame and the cage angle set screw.

Benno

by Benno

Sounds like you forgot the frame brace screw mentioned above.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Sounds to me like you have not done to many di2 installs. I don't agree with your advice. In fact, making the cage parallel is very important. Its better to use your finger to run along the surface to check for parallel instead of eyeballing it. And doubtful the clamp is loose. If he followed the manual (which he said he did) then the support screw is in place and making the mount rigid. I have found that praxis rings have a very narrow band where they shift well. Outside of that you get slow pickup or overshifts. You've got to play a bit to get them right but then they shift great.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Thanks for all the advice guys - I will play with it a bit and let you know how it goes.

All the screws are definitely in place and torqued happily - again it's certainly not a huge problem - everything else is flawless but I know it can be a titch better. Ill get back to you!
Just ride ..

toiyuet

by toiyuet

At first you will think installing 9070 front mech is easier than that of 7970. It is not.

Installing 9070 front mech perfectly correctly is not that easy.

Please follow the dealer's manual step by step, adjust it repeatedly, good luck.

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

E-tube Program allows you to fine tune your front derailleur.
I had some issue with rubbing, because front derailleur didn't want to move until I was in the 7-8 gear.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yes, there is an adjustment for rubbing, but thats not the op's issue.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Just an update to not leave an open ended thread. Took about a half turn of the H-Limit screw and she seems to shift perfectly upfront now. I am not going to over think this too much. Other than speeding the rear shifting up a hair, everything is pretty impressive.
Just ride ..

Benno

by Benno

Lol glad it's working better. On a side note, is it possible to reduce the pause it takes to kick into multishift mode when you hold the rear shift button?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

You can set the speed of the shifts on the rear but I do not think you can eliminate that initial pause.
Just ride ..

Benno

by Benno

Dang as I run it with just a 2 gear shift like mechanical xtr. There is literally zero difference in the gear change speed from slow to fast setting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com