Advice on Carbon Race Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rody211

by rody211

Hello all,

I am looking at some inexpensive carbon race wheels for this next season and have got it narrowed down to a few options. I'm looking at 2Quik Carbon's, Williams, & Boyd. I'm one of those that really wants to be able to focus on the race and not worrying about crashing a $3,000 wheelset, so I don't want to go super expensive. I'm really liking the lifetime crash replacement 2Quik offers, but they don't really have any aero data like Boyd and Williams. Does anyone have any experience with any of these wheels?

Thanks in advance!

aaric

by aaric

Where'd you see aero data on Boyd wheels? I recall seeing a reference to them heading to the tunnel, but haven't seen any results...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

All of the wheels you listed are very similar. I would be shocked to find the rims come from different factories overseas. Honestly, I would look to ebay and find a factory direct carbon wheel supplier. It is going to be the latest offerings they are copying from companies that do their own research. Boyd and Williams have to wait a full year before making changes usually due to cost of advertisement and such, but the companies knocking off wheels change the designs as they come out. For less than $500 you can get some really nice wheels. For that cost, peace of mind should be even greater. I just sold a set of Lite-bike wheels and they were really good wheels. I haven't seen lots of horror stories of rims collapsing from the Chinese clinchers. If you want cheap, that is what I would do. Boyd and Williams are just sourcing their rims from the same places and slapping their stickers on them.

rody211

by rody211

Yea, I was scoping out eBay. There were only a few things that I felt they were lacking. I'd kind of like some better hub options, which 2Quik has and I've heard some stories that warranty issues can be real tough to get taken care of through eBay sellers from China. I'd rather deal with a business I can report the BBB if anything goes wrong. By the way, on the note of hubs, has anyone seen those Onyx instant engagement road hubs that 2Quik is putting on their wheels?

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I have some Boyd tubulars and they've been great. I train and race on them when I don't want to race my Zipps so the always get the crap weather and roads. I have never had yo touch them with a spoke wrench... ever. That's something people seem to forget, build quality. I've trued my Zipps and they get babied, but they are a faster wheel so I deal. I LOL at the open mold fan boys why say how great the wheels are, even after they have to re-tension the entire back wheel after a couple hundred miles. Really.[emoji15]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

rody211

by rody211

TwiggyTN, good point. I was looking at companies that build their wheels in the U.S. For that very reason.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I have used a decent amount of wheels myself and if you're looking for a race worthy set of carbons you don't have to baby Boyd would certainly be a worthy choice. Lots of good options at the moment though and definitely a bit of a buyers market. Personally I have a set of 44 boyds that I have beat the snott out of and they are a-ok.
Just ride ..

nickf

by nickf

I beat the shit out of my Williams 38c wheels. Replaced bearings a couple times over 4 years. Cheap chosen branded hubs. But they survived many gravel rides and about 20k miles. I'm going to go the farsports route for some tub wheels.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I have a set of Williams System 58 Tubulars that I have been using for a couple of years now, been really happy with them. Not had to true them, been fit and forget really.

spookyload

by spookyload

People used to love Neuvation wheels too. They were the cat's meow...till they went out of business. As for build quality, does the workers adding Boyd or Williams decals to the wheels before shipping from china make the build better? Again, these companies are selling labeled Chinese wheels.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I can't speak to the williams wheels but I will say that the Boyd wheels while they might be decal'd in the states - they are certainly built here by hand. I do find that makes a good difference over machine built wheels.

Either way you will certainly find good and bad about a lot of 1000 dollar wheel sets out there. However I think with boyd you will find a good ratio of good to bad reviews in service and quality.

Let us know what you end up with though!
Just ride ..

eric

by eric

spookyload wrote:People used to love Neuvation wheels too. They were the cat's meow...till they went out of business. As for build quality, does the workers adding Boyd or Williams decals to the wheels before shipping from china make the build better? Again, these companies are selling labeled Chinese wheels.

Based on their statements I think both have their own proprietary rim molds. They may also spec different layup or materials in their rims vs the open mold stuff from the same factory.

Even if you don't think their rims are better than open mold, providing final QC, warranty support and parts stock in the US is worth a premium over direct-from-china sellers. I'm ok with dealing direct with China and either eating it or having a long delay if there's a warrantable problem. Not everyone is.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

You should check out November: http://www.novemberbicycles.com/

They have two different carbon rims, a 34mm and a 50mm. They also have good selection of hub choices, from white industry to tune. They do build them in house in the US and own their own mold. I personally have a set of 34mm built with alchemy elf front and tune mag170 rear, which were custom ordered from Ergott here. In case you were wondering, those came out to be 1388 grams. Let's just say they are the stiffest wheels I've ever came across and they are invisible from crosswinds where I still feel it with my Pacenti SL23, which are 26mm deep. The amount of pot hole ridden roads I go through, they are still fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Does November make tubulars though? I like their rap but last I looked it was clincher only. Not for racing IMO but let's not start that debate here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk