Campag Lever upgrade or, groupset upgrade.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Hi

On my roday rig, Cervelo S2, I am riding a older Campag Record groupset. The groupset runs very smooth and i been very happy with it. But i was thinking of upgrading to the later model ergolevers. Problem these only come in 11 speed, then I noticed the Centaur levers comes in 10 speed, The would work with my current setup, and then just sand the Centaur logo of ;) Image
The ride:

Questions is would it be stupid to mix Record with Centaur? The goal is to get a bit more comfy hoods, and a more modern look. Or should I just ride the ting, and perhaps get a nice new Chorus groupset along the line?

Bonus question, how can I check if my rear wheel is 11 speed compatibale?

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Can't advise you on the hoods, but I am certain that any (Campagnolo) 10-speed wheel is 11-speed compatible. The sprockets just became a little thinner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Buy the 11 shifters. cassette, chain, and rear derailleur. Done.

No one will notice, at least on my team. It took them over a year to notice that I had 11 speeds.

Most [if not all] 10 Campy freewheels are 11 compatible.

sawyer

by sawyer

@alpinestar - I have run the set up you are describing for 3 years on one bike, and had something similar (with some SR thrown in) on a second bike until earlier this year

Works perfectly

Note the shifting the cassette (to smaller sprockets) is one sprocket at a time with those shifters. I actually much prefer that on Campag as it is more accurate and I have ridden older Record shifters, and various newer 11s shifters

Note also the Centaur 10s carbon shifters are carbon wrapped these days, not full carbon. means a bit more weight but same feel

Note also that there is no problem running an 11s chain with a 10s cassette. It is very slightly more picky due to the narrower width, but won't be problem unless your cassette is pretty buggered when you fit the chain
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: