Sram Red 22 Hydro Rim Brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gavin929

by Gavin929

Has anyone ridden these brakes? It seems as though they disappeared after the recall and didn't really take-off. I was kind of skeptical about the advantages versus weight savings. I went with the mechanical red 22 brakes for weight savings alone, but part of me would like to give them a try. Seems odd that you don't see any on sram sponsored teams... maybe next year?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I think the reason you don't see them often is because they don't really bring much to the table. Yes, they do provide some better modulation, but in the end, we're talking about rim brakes, and the added weight of the mechanism is a big draw-back. The only professional who I have seen riding them is Cav, on the original (recalled) format during the 2013 TdF. Think about it, you get most of the weight penalty of Hydro discs, with a minimal improvement in braking (and some awkward looking brake hoods), however, you don't get any of the real benefits of discs, because you're still dealing with rim brakes.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I think the only real advantage of buying these is if in the near future you wanted to move to hydraulic road disc brakes but don't yet have a disc-compatible frame that meets your needs - i.e. you would only have to upgrade the brakes and not the shifters as well.