Super Record 2015 Front Shifter Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommasini

by tommasini

wheelsONfire wrote:I am in a way happy i did not buy Campa SR 2015 for my second bike. Reading the FD is so finky and people complain of flex in the large crankset chainring.
It seems to me that even though they copied Shimano design it is not as good as DA 9000.
I liked that Campa had shorter reach in the shifters, but they new STI 9001 shifters allows very nice and short reach.
Wonder if Shimano will come up with a better mechanical than DA 9000, i really thought SR would get only roses but lately it seems not.

BTW - I went from the 2013/14 cranks to the 2015 on 2 bikes. I had read the forum talk here about there being a perception of large chainring flex.....did some major thumb pushing myself and see none.......and on the bike sense no issues. Just my observation about that

IhmeKameli

by IhmeKameli

poppiholla wrote:I ride the new Record 2015 groupset on my Tarmac Sl4. I am satisfied with the groupset, but there is one aspect that I don't like and that is the noise from the chain on the chainrings. The chain runs not silky smooth on the chainrings. With a little bit of cross chaining (big ring and third biggest sprocket 12-29 cassette) the system is noisy. Maybe the chain needs to run for 500 miles or so to become more silent, but I find it strange. The groupset works flawless but I can't imagine thet the noise is normal. I checked all (chain lenght, B-tension srew, limit screws, cable tension and also there is no cage rub). I am wondering if it has something to do with the combination Tarmac Sl4 with C-Bear bottom bracket adapter in combination with IT bottom bracket cups. Maybe the crankset is a tiny little more outside? Anyone a clue?

Same here, build a C60 with 2015 Super Record. Everything works suberbly, only same noise is disturbing.
Checked everything imaginable, no help. My other road bike, a steel Tommasini has 2013 Record, dead silent.
New SR has been ridden several months now, noise has been down a bit, but it is still there.
Only reason i have found, that new rear derailleur tensions chain more, stronger springs than earlier gen.
The chain length is as Campa specs. Hanger is straight and chain does not touch anything.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

My 2015 Record is dead quiet unless I'm cross chaining. During breakin I have to adjust the RD to tune it every so often but the FD has worked superb from day one even with my wonky 53/34 setup.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

IhmeKameli wrote:
poppiholla wrote:I ride the new Record 2015 groupset on my Tarmac Sl4. I am satisfied with the groupset, but there is one aspect that I don't like and that is the noise from the chain on the chainrings. The chain runs not silky smooth on the chainrings. With a little bit of cross chaining (big ring and third biggest sprocket 12-29 cassette) the system is noisy. Maybe the chain needs to run for 500 miles or so to become more silent, but I find it strange. The groupset works flawless but I can't imagine thet the noise is normal. I checked all (chain lenght, B-tension srew, limit screws, cable tension and also there is no cage rub). I am wondering if it has something to do with the combination Tarmac Sl4 with C-Bear bottom bracket adapter in combination with IT bottom bracket cups. Maybe the crankset is a tiny little more outside? Anyone a clue?

Same here, build a C60 with 2015 Super Record. Everything works suberbly, only same noise is disturbing.
Checked everything imaginable, no help. My other road bike, a steel Tommasini has 2013 Record, dead silent.
New SR has been ridden several months now, noise has been down a bit, but it is still there.
Only reason i have found, that new rear derailleur tensions chain more, stronger springs than earlier gen.
The chain length is as Campa specs. Hanger is straight and chain does not touch anything.

My experience is a noisy transmission with Campag is normally due to not 100% perfect alignment of the rear derailleur hanger. Bear in mind that only a slight misalignment can cause this noise, above all in frames with short chainstays.

Timujin

by Timujin

I built my first bike this year on a 2015 SR gruppo... Watched the campag video on YouTube, bought the alignment tool and have had no issues at all... I can get perfect shifting on either normal round rings or qrings.

I agree that the inline cable tension on the FD was critical in me getting the tuning right.

I don't run a campy chain nor crank, have no noise issues. My friends c59 on SR2014 is absolutely silent....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRacer

by RedRacer

BlackMadone wrote:My 2015 Record is dead quiet unless I'm cross chaining. During breakin I have to adjust the RD to tune it every so often but the FD has worked superb from day one even with my wonky 53/34 setup.

<OT> 53 / 34 is a big jump! How well does the FD manage the shift up to the big ring? What cassette range are you using and what sort of chain length compromise did you settle on? I was considering going 52 / 34 up front...