Super Record 2015 Front Shifter Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Hi,

Just built up my new bike with 2015 Super Record. Took it for a shakedown ride today and I was having some issues with the front shifter. When I'm in the big ring, it will randomly release one click and drop me into the little ring. It doesn't do it all the time, but it must have happened 10 times on the ride today. I put it up in the stand when I got home and had a good look to see if I had done anything stupid that was causing it, and I can't see anything. I thought the cable tension may have been too low, so I added a little more and then it wouldn't even stay in the big ring. I would shift up the 3 clicks(there are only 3 clicks on the new models) and it would immediately release the last click.

The only time I have seen anything similar was on my ancient Ultegra 9 speed shifter after about 10 years of use when they were totally worn out.

So, has anyone experienced anything similar to this issue? Or does anyone have a simple explanation for what's wrong/how much of an idiot I am being? I know I'm unlikely to get any answers as it has only just been released, but figured I would try before speaking to the distributor tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Campbell.

ITTY

by ITTY

Try loosening the high limit screw about 1/8-1/4 turn. That might allow the shifter to "fully click" so that it doesn't release tension.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I am guessing you just need to re-adjust slightly - the cable sounds a little too tight and you most probably need to adjust the outer limit screw to allow the cage more outward movement.

When you first anchored the cable you might have pulled it too tight, so it might be just as well to re-anchor the cable. I always pull a Campag cable with pliers and not fingers, but you do not need to pull it very tight at all.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Where did you source SR 2015 from if I may ask? Thanks!

bontie

by bontie

Yep, cable too tight. Had this a few time before - that's what makes inline adjusters awesome!

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks for the replies guys, I have re-set the mech and have the cable as loose as possible with it still shifting properly. Will have to give it a ride tomorrow to see how it is.

RippedUp - I got it through the frame builder, who got it from I-Ride, one of the UK distributors.

Cheers,

Campbell.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Campbell,

I have to say that the new (2015) setup can be extremely finicky. In generations past Campag has had room for error with setup and front shifting could still be just fine, but with this latest version everything must be perfect. It's correct that there are only suppose to be 3 detents (clicks) but then beyond the third there can still be a ton of swing but without detents so this is dead space that needs to be limited out. You have to be able to get to the big ring using just the 3 detents. I've got this group setup on a Parlee Altum and am not totally happy with the front shifting on that build, but have been happy with it on a different bike.

Derailleur alignment is critical.

Campag has stated that it in order to get a proper adjustment "it's absolutely necessary" to have a barrel adjuster. In the past it was not that difficult to setup without one but with this latest model, I'm definitely inclined to believe them.

Also when in the small ring if the cable touches the derailleur you'll need to get an adapter that moves the cable anchor path out away from the derailleur.

Then of course if there is any friction in the cable or housing that makes the problem worse.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks for the very detailed response.

There is already a barrel adjuster, but the cable just touches the mech when in the little ring, so I'll ask about getting the adapter, I wasn't aware of that.

Cheers,

Campbell

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The adapter is FD-CE011

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

I've set up a handful of these, and the new alignment gauge tool they make now has turned setting the FD properly into a no-brainer. Exact every time. It sounds like you need to get the cable anchor washer and to re-adjust the limit screw/cable tension. Campy put a complete tuning video of the new mechanical system up on their website under the tutorial video section. It was really helpful for me.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Yep, DA7900 FD has the same issue. You need to leave some slack in the cable. If too tight, it won't lock properly in the high position.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

RippedUp wrote:Where did you source SR 2015 from if I may ask? Thanks!

Merlin has them in stock for a decent price

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I am in a way happy i did not buy Campa SR 2015 for my second bike. Reading the FD is so finky and people complain of flex in the large crankset chainring.
It seems to me that even though they copied Shimano design it is not as good as DA 9000.
I liked that Campa had shorter reach in the shifters, but they new STI 9001 shifters allows very nice and short reach.
Wonder if Shimano will come up with a better mechanical than DA 9000, i really thought SR would get only roses but lately it seems not.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I ride the new Record 2015 groupset on my Tarmac Sl4. I am satisfied with the groupset, but there is one aspect that I don't like and that is the noise from the chain on the chainrings. The chain runs not silky smooth on the chainrings. With a little bit of cross chaining (big ring and third biggest sprocket 12-29 cassette) the system is noisy. Maybe the chain needs to run for 500 miles or so to become more silent, but I find it strange. The groupset works flawless but I can't imagine thet the noise is normal. I checked all (chain lenght, B-tension srew, limit screws, cable tension and also there is no cage rub). I am wondering if it has something to do with the combination Tarmac Sl4 with C-Bear bottom bracket adapter in combination with IT bottom bracket cups. Maybe the crankset is a tiny little more outside? Anyone a clue?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

I did have a bit of a rocky road setting up my 2015 SR stuff the first day of so, but once set, oh is it ever worth it. Huge improvement over the previous gen. I don't think this should be a deterrent. Helps to have a campy experienced mechanic though when I run into trouble.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com