Bike Frame Protection Stickers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I'm trying to find some clear 3M style stickers to go on my headtube to prevent cable rub and maybe the chainstay as well on my CAAD10.

Anyone know of a kit with those rounded corner rectangular ones? Only thing I can find is the lizardskins one, but that has a tacky logo in the middle.

I'm not looking to cut some helicopter tape myself. These should be out there because I know I had a bikeshop generously give me some before for another bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Or this. http://www.frameskin.com/
Have this on all four of our bikes, great product.

Steve.
BB

Coffee & carbon

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I use what's called "clear bra" in car speak. It's a transparent film made by 3M that protects the car's front end from debris -- necessary for track rats. I just cut small round pieces (1.5" diameter) and stick them on areas prone to cable rub.

Svetty

by Svetty

I know you've said that you're not looking to cut helicopter tape yourself but I'd suggest you reconsider this option. You can tailor the shapes of the stickers to suit the individual locations and replace them as/when necessary.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I'd suggest dropping by the LBS, most shops have a surplus of clear dots and they'll usually give you a few for free.

Gavin929

by Gavin929

i use 3m protective tape that i get on ebay in huge rolls. works great, goes on clear, and comes off easy.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Thanks for the help everyone. I might drop by an LBS and see if they'd offer me some again.

I've thought about this after a night's sleep. Maybe just getting the helicopter tape would be the way to go (for the chainstays, etc).

Anyone have a link for some cheap tape (the frameskins looked amazing, but shipping was like 30% the cost of the stuff itself).

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I stopped by an auto shop that specializes in tinting/clear bra application. I walked to their dumpster with the employee and he told me I can have anything in the bin. I now have a lifetime supply of the stuff [for free].

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Have you considered using these instead around the top tube?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram ... lsrc=aw.ds

I find the sticky patches migrate after a while, leaving crappy marks on the paintwork.
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

kode54

by kode54

Butcher wrote:I stopped by an auto shop that specializes in tinting/clear bra application. I walked to their dumpster with the employee and he told me I can have anything in the bin. I now have a lifetime supply of the stuff [for free].

same here. although i didn't do any dumpster diving. i just got some cut-off excess from a detail shop. you can then cut them to any shape you want which is nice. there's different thickness 'clear bra'. i found some that are used for the headlights and they seem to be twice as thick as the one used on car paint panels. haven't had any issues of the thicker one wearing through, although the thin ones you need to be more careful with as they do wear through after awhile.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mattr

by mattr

Some of the cheapstuff has really poor adhesive tho and you get the migrating problem lord_brush mentions.

It's worth the extra for patches that just stay put!

CharlesM

by CharlesM

dots are easy. You can also go see any shop that does clear bra for cars. They'll have left overs that will give you all the material you need for years... you can cut it to size and make chain guards etc. The whole package.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

I need some frame protectors for my TT, but they are not for cable rub. They protect the integrated fork from messing the headtube.

The ones that came with the bike (Felt DA) got chewed up by the fork and, if I don't act fast, the frame is next.

These are a sticker with about 2-3mm of plastic/rubber... anyone?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com