Bike Frame Protection Stickers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric01

by eric01

I have a black frame and just put a strip of electrical tape on the head tube. Found a roll that matches the same gloss of frame. Blends in well. Cheap too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Cable housing donuts look better IMO. Search ebay.

Method01

by Method01

Won't they scratch too (in the long term)? If sand gets between the donut and frame for example.

jefflhm

by jefflhm

even brand new car break down & get scratches after a while....

put your bike at home dont ride, it will forever be scratchless.
if you need to ride. cycle a tank.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

jefflhm wrote:even brand new car break down & get scratches after a while....

put your bike at home dont ride, it will forever be scratchless.
if you need to ride. cycle a tank.

I shall not flame.

:beerchug:

mattr

by mattr

jefflhm wrote:If you need to ride. cycle a tank.

You do realise that even a few days riding in grubby conditions can lead to the cables taking the paint finish off your frame (down to the metal/CF) once this happens the cables will tend to sit in their nice custom ground groove. And continue wearing the frame away.

I've seen a few frames actually go through. Usually on the head tube and tops of the seatstays

I'm guessing you ride a tank.

mattr

by mattr

Method01 wrote:Won't they scratch too (in the long term)? If sand gets between the donut and frame for example.
Not really, the doughnut moves around a lot and is also far far softer than the paint. Easier to clean as well. Still not as good as the stickers.

wilwil

by wilwil

Ive found lots of this protection tape yellows very quickly which looks horrible on a white frame especially. 3M Helicopter tape does. I found some that has a backing and a front protector that peels off once its stuck on. Its German, made by Hyperlex. Tesa 54994 Helicopter tape is better than 3M.

Method01

by Method01

I always use BBB stickers and they've never turned yellow.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

mattr wrote:
Method01 wrote:Won't they scratch too (in the long term)? If sand gets between the donut and frame for example.
Not really, the doughnut moves around a lot and is also far far softer than the paint. Easier to clean as well. Still not as good as the stickers.

Just clean that area every week or two and it'll be fine. Much better than bare cable housing sitting on the head tube. I think the stickers look so ugly so it's not an option on my bikes. Plus, the stickers will need to be repositioned if you make enough of a change to the stem/bars or cable housing length.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Poor quality protection stickers yellow and look ugly. A good gloss/matte clear sticker cannot be seen 6 feet away, so I do not understand what people are talking about being ugly.

The only downside about a good clear sticker is the weight [that can only be mentioned here without being scoffed at].