Aican Bunagrus DA-9000 compatability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Quick one guys. Moving on with my latest build (which I'll shortly post on the Introduce yourself section) and came across a problem:

The lever connector for the Bungarus-link BR cable don't seem to slide into the DA9000 ST. I had a look at the width of the DA9000 BR cable's housing and they are what seems to be 1mm thinner.

Anyone come across this issue or heard of it? Madcow?

As a quick MacGyver POS solution I thought about cutting 25mm of the DA9000 BR cable housing, sliding it into the ST and then sliding the Bungarus on to that.

Ended up not bothering with DA9000 BR cable housing bit and just slid the Bungarus housing straight into the ST with no connector piece. I ended up using one of the longer links with the plastic connector end inserted to the cable hole in the ST.

Will research through-out the week before wrapping these bars up.

Thoughts?!

Cheers!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

You can use ferrules from any other cableset and use a bit of the clear anti frame rub plastic sheath that comes in the aican packet to prevent it wiggling in the ferrule BUT aican housing is awful. If you turn your bars ever anything under tension at the time of the bar turning will put a lot of tension on the delrin liners until one snaps, then the housing will be swinging on an unprotected cable until the cable snaps.

They work for cable runs that don't change with bar turning. Ie. To front brake. From rear brake cable rear frame cable stop to brake. Couldn't get them to work with RD.

Keep the kit for useful bits, and get some ilinks.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Thanks for the heads up, NiFTY. :beerchug:

Going to pop into my local Evans and this Giant store that opened here in Canary Wharf to try and get some 4mm ferrules.

Thanks for the heads up with regards to possible issues also. I only went for BR cables, not wanting to compromise my FD and RD shifting quality.

FB should be straight forward in terms of not having the links fail. For the RB, I'll give it plenty of extra cable (maybe a good 80 mm) to make sure it isn't under a lot of tension when the bars are turned. As you well said, I do not need to worry about the link bits that leaves the frame to the RB fialing.

Anyone know what I can ask for at the shop? Going to ask the mechanic if he has two spare 4mm ferrules. Don't recall seeing these for sale...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It works great, i have that combo on my second bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

No issues here with the Aican Bungarus -- very light and the housings are still intact. Have had them since they first came out a few years ago. The only downside was going hybrid, i.e., Aican housing w/ Powercordz cables -- couldn't get the RD to shift properly (FD was fine).

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have the above described setup without issue. I must have 2000 miles on the housing and original cables. Not sure I agree with the above post regarding housing snapping with tension. Maybe they were not set up correctly. P.S. I am using the 9000 shifters and Aican ferrules without any install issues.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Mnmasotto, I might be being a div about it.

I'll give it a go as soon as I make it home and post some pictures. Reassuring to know that someone has managed the to fit the ferrules in a 9000 ST.

If it still does not go, I think I'll hop on these for the 4mm bits:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/191395878420?_mwBanner=1

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

There's absolutely no way this is ever going to fit:

Anyone?

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Guys, as the outer housing from the Bungarus does not slide past the cable hole on the DA9000 STs, is the purpose of the end cap only to centre the housing and keep it from rattling?

If so, instead of trying my luck buying random ferrules of ebay, can't I simply wrap the first three links with electrical tape, taking the outer diameter to the same diameter as the original DA9000 brake cable?

Still a MacGyver solution, just a little less POSish.

Thoughts?!

Thanks!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think i used Shimano ferrules directly into shifters.
But i had no issues with anything else. Works great. I never used the original Aican, directly into shifters.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

You could try it without a ferrule. They clear silicon frame protector cut up works great to stop rattles.

My setup with Aican was on an evo. Which has terrible rear brake routing (straight into the headtube) I also run a SRAM Yaw, which requires a very high cable tension in the big ring, so that may have contributed to the delrin liner snapping. That said i went through 2 cables on each FD and rear brake before i abandoned hope. RD never worked for me with the aican housing.

The finish is also not very long lasting on the segments, not even from friction, just from the elements seamingly.

Good luck with your setup. If you have issues don't be put off segmented housing, just get ilinks (standard size) and be happy, they are a much better kit.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Thanks for the heads up, NiFTY.

What I did was cut about 2mm of the original DA BR cable, slid that in the BR cable, then the Aican housing.

I then got the 2mm of cable and stuck it to the housing with two layers of electric tape. Worked perfectly. Happy days.

The internal cabling for the rear bake with the Canyon CF SLX was a piece of piss to sort out. There really isn't many places for the housing to snap, so, fingers crossed, I should be good.

If the shiny black of the housing wears down to matt, even better. It'll match the bike! Hahaha!

Thanks for the support guys. Closer and closer to getting a new Canyon up on the introduce yourself section!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com