Classic Cranks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Working on a new build and have a weakness for silver alloy cranks. The only ones I have been able to find that are 11-sp compatible are White Industries, TA (http://www.specialites-ta.com/gb/manivelle-carmina.html) and Stronglight ( http://www.stronglight.com/stronglight/index.php/welcome/pedalier_catalogue). Best I can determine, Stronglight no longer imports to the USA. TA has some dealers but very few. Campy still makes an alloy silver Athena. That's about it. Any other ideas?

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

You can often find NOS Record cranks on the 'bay as well as possibly mint Toplines..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Exactly, older 10 speed cranks / chainrings work just fine with 11 speed derailleurs.
If you have a crankset with 9 speed chainrings and plan on running an 11 speed set up, just get new chainrings.
TA and Stronglight rings can be found to fit the older Campy 135 BCD standard.

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Thanks guys. I should have qualified: I've been living on NOS for 15 years and am tired of the hunt and escalating prices. I don't like to buy used crank parts, since they are significantly load bearing and do fatigue over time. My preference is for something that, as of today, is still made. Years ago I had terrific experience with TA cranks--the rings were almost indestructible. But they are now almost as hard to find as NOS (unless you live in France, or have a reliable friend who does.)

KB

by KB

Depends on how keen you are for the silver look: I've had my Hollowgrams polished; same with my Extralite crankset. I've had done the same with chainrings as well.

dfischer1

by dfischer1

KB wrote:Depends on how keen you are for the silver look: I've had my Hollowgrams polished; same with my Extralite crankset. I've had done the same with chainrings as well.

Can we see your polished Hollowgrams? I'm thinking of stripping/polishing a set of Ultegra 6800 cranks.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

An affordable alternative is perhaps Sugino.
The 75 model is a square taper 130 BCD crank that can be fitted with various chainrings to fit all drivetrains.

KB

by KB

First one is the Extralite's; the second is the Dale SISL's with polished TA Squale rings. Have done the same with lots of other components.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Nice polishing work!
Extralite now sells the QRC2 in silver as well, but not nearly as high gloss as those.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

How good would those Hollowgram look on a raw finish CAAD? I may need a lie down!

by 4536

Stolichnaya wrote:If you have a crankset with 9 speed chainrings and plan on running an 11 speed set up, just get new chainrings.

Here is what I have done: I took an old right-side crank that was ruined and cut the arm off. I then have it mounted to a spindle.

I bolt a 5/7/8/9 speed chainring onto the crank, inside out, and face off the rear of the chainring in my lathe. I remove about about 0,25mm depending on what I start with.

Doing this preserves the beautiful vintage look of the crankset, and saves money for carbon parts on the other bikes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I currently have brand new record and chorus 10 speed chainsets in stock in the shop. Athena is a good option though. I run 10 speed record chainset with 11 speed with no issues.

wingguy

by wingguy

KB wrote:Image

Oh my! :oops: That's just sex on a bike.

How much work was involved?

verbs4us

by verbs4us

KB wrote:First one is the Extralite's; the second is the Dale SISL's with polished TA Squale rings. Have done the same with lots of other components.

Stunning! I have an irrational prejudice against press-fit BBs. I understand all Hollowgrams are all press fit--correct? Don't know about Extralite, but have heard some people complain that they flex too much. Looks really nice, however.
Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to continually quote pictures...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

How much work was involved? Not much. I just sent them to a local polishing company through my LBS. Not a lot of money either. Came back within a couple of weeks. Had the same done to my Firefly seatpost, plus my Extralite headset and stem; also my KCNC brake calipers; and my King (I think) TI bottle cages.

Extralite's may flex, but I'm over 60 and lack the power to seriously trouble a set of cranks.