Install SM-EWW01 unit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrbruhn

by mrbruhn

I just want to share my solution to install the wireless shimano di2 unit. I didn't like to have it in the frame or installed it as instructed (ugly as h...) so I did a small modification to my k-edge xl mount and just installed underneath with the included elastic ribbon. Just need to pass it to the same side as started to get a tight fit. Hope it can help a little.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

Nice job. Isn't fun to try mounting new gear a different and better way and really clean it up. NICE!!!!!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I dunno....you've got your jb under your stem...thats a lot of wires up front. Not sure why you wouldn't hide it in the frame and eliminate some of that clutter.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

goodboyr wrote:I dunno....you've got your jb under your stem...thats a lot of wires up front. Not sure why you wouldn't hide it in the frame and eliminate some of that clutter.

Exactly.. So much cleaner in the seat tube
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mrbruhn

by mrbruhn

Will try it in the seatpost when I figure out how to get a solid mount, don't want any risk of rattle our noise and I also want it outside to start with so I know that everything work fine. This was the best way I found that was external. If you have tips our pics of seat post installation I would be glad to see them but all I can find is just people mentioning that they put inside the frame and that don't really help me :)

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've now installed 5 of them inside seat tube below seat post battery and none of them rattle. There is enough cable in and around them when stuffing to keep them from bouncing around. But if you are really worried, put some zip ties on the cabling and that will help stabilize them too. And we said seat tube, not seat post.

kode54

by kode54

so it just needs to be on the e-tube wiring in order for it to work? and i suppose i need to update my firmware as well?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yes. It can be anywhere in the E tube bus.

mrbruhn

by mrbruhn

Was to curious to not to try the seat tube, toke your advise on the zip tie so now I just have to take a test ride.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I am still amazed that shimano did not implement the ant+ transmitter into the 5 port junction as they originally said they would. It would have eliminated a lot of the shenanigans that we go through to hide this thing.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

goodboyr wrote:I am still amazed that shimano did not implement the ant+ transmitter into the 5 port junction as they originally said they would. It would have eliminated a lot of the shenanigans that we go through to hide this thing.

Sad part is, some of their web content still says it is ANT compatible. By the way, Shimano uses Private ANT not ANT+, just to be precise.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I seriously think it's on the greed side, they just want you to spend more money. Looking at how it's still so limited in stock everywhere, there might be a chance they will release a new front junction port that will include the wireless capability in the near future.

kij

by kij

http://di2stats.com/

This project is awesome for D-Fly people

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com