Ceramic ball bearing brand

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spliid

by spliid

Hi all,

I'm considering putting some ceramic bearings in my DT Swiss 240s hubs. The prices are pretty steep but I found a brand, Acer Racing, which has a nice price tag on them. Anyone with experience?

Thx in advance

eric

by eric

Usually the cheap hybrid ceramic bearings are no better than good steel ball bearings. Often to make them feel fast in the hand, they will be spec'd with looser fitting seals. So in use they get contaminated with water and dirt more readily and die early.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

^^^this

unless you've got trustworthy data on the bearing tolerance, finish, hardness etc., and they're all good, then you may be simply buying rather poor bearings

fwiw i once tried some cheap full ceramics, after one ride they were removed, i keep them to remind me about cheap bearings

spliid

by spliid

Good to know. Will check the specs. It seems like they have a good reputation but in another "sport".

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

From my recollection in the RC market Acer Bearings are used by a lot of the RC Car/Heli/Multicopter crowd as an upgrade to heavier steel bearings. I have not seen any complaints from those communities. But, as always, your mileage may vary. In the RC world we are talking just a few kilos at most and sub one kilo a lot of the time, not the 65-100 kilos (bike+rider) load most of the weightweenie crowd are.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i have istalled Durafosf bearings yesterday
http://eliflap.it/2014/11/30/flyxii-road-project-16/
http://eliflap.it/

Svetty

by Svetty

Bit of a thread hijack but I'm curious as to whether the 'Max' Enduro bearings are significantly better than their standard ones for use in hubs.

spliid

by spliid

WheresWaldo wrote:From my recollection in the RC market Acer Bearings are used by a lot of the RC Car/Heli/Multicopter crowd as an upgrade to heavier steel bearings. I have not seen any complaints from those communities. But, as always, your mileage may vary. In the RC world we are talking just a few kilos at most and sub one kilo a lot of the time, not the 65-100 kilos (bike+rider) load most of the weightweenie crowd are.

Yes, that's also what I have seen. Just saw their bicycle specific bearings now. I think I will give them a try.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

sungod wrote:^^^this

unless you've got trustworthy data on the bearing tolerance, finish, hardness etc., and they're all good, then you may be simply buying rather poor bearings

fwiw i once tried some cheap full ceramics, after one ride they were removed, i keep them to remind me about cheap bearings

Sungod, out of curiosity, what problems reared their head after only one ride?

That is awfully quick for bad sealing to come back to bite you, so I am guessing you had some tolerance issues, but what specifically.

Benno

by Benno

Just changed the bearings in my xtr pedals to Acer ceramic loose balls. They were cheap and I hate my xtr pedals so I stuck them on the beater bike and have nothing to lose lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

TheKaiser wrote:Sungod, out of curiosity, what problems reared their head after only one ride?

That is awfully quick for bad sealing to come back to bite you, so I am guessing you had some tolerance issues, but what specifically.

yes it was bad tolerances, this was for bb30...

after 15-20 minutes (from memory) creaking started, i gave up eventually as it was so annoying and i wanted to see what was happening

on inspection i found one of the inner races had begun to fret the axle (which had been greased during installation), even after just a short time it was difficult to remove it due to this

once i'd removed them, cleaned things up, and re-installed the old bearings (which were fine, no noise), i measured the ceramic ones, both were out of tolerance, they didn't even match each other