99 Klein Quantum Race...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JourneyMan

by JourneyMan

I've got a '99 Klein Quantum Race I'm original Ultegra with the original Rolfs on it. I'm going to rebuild it for road racing, but it's got quite a lot of memories wrapped up in it so I was thinking about making it into a Sunday bike...

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... antum+Race

It's this one with a CODA Magic crankset on it and one of those God awful Cinelli stems that Cipo had for putting a pin up girl on. I see the folly of my ways now...

So, leave the bike stock or refurbish it with modern 6800 and I was thinking Pacenti SL23 on Tune hubs with Thomson Masterpiece post and cockpit. Or should I preserve the 6500 groupo?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Wow! I had one of those - fab bike! I ended up with a QProXX when I eventually cracked the frame at the rear stay.

With the new frame, rode my 6500 around for quite a while and then upgraded to Campy Super Record.

It probably wouldn't hurt to put on a new ultegra groupset (ribble always has them for a steal). If it's 11s, will the cassette fit the Rolfs?

JourneyMan

by JourneyMan

Doubt the Rolfs will take an 11 speed cassette. I also want to build some 16:8 Tune hubs and this looks like a good excuse...!

Anyone know anything about the forks? Mine are okay, and no damage. I'm the original owner so know their history. However they're heavy and I'm looking at a few carbon steerer models on eBay.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Why not modernise, it does depend on if you want a period build or a bike that is up to date kit wise.

Columbus minimal forks are very light. You'll need the centre drilled rims for those tune hubs. The centre drilled Pacenti SL23 is only available from BHS. No U.K source. There are other rims that are centre drilled though like the Kinlin XC-279 which is heavier but stiffer.

JourneyMan

by JourneyMan

Not too hung up on staying period correct. Now I think about it, I'm going 6800 mech. Maybe someone on retro bike can use the 6500 and Rolfs.

Yes, really like the look of the Pacentis and was going to build some BHS 16:8 hubs up for my daily Felt. Oh boy! A weekend of building two wheel sets... Awesome!

Seen a Easton for sale and a Reynolds uncut. Frames a 59cm... I'll measure the steerer.

F45

by F45

The Quantum is so good looking you can put 6800 on it and it will look like they were made for each other. I look forward to pics of the finished product.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I would update. Beautiful frame.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tinozee

by tinozee

Cool frame! I have a Klein Pulse mtb frame from 95 with a cool color sparkle paint. That is the only vintage mtb frame I kept.

Also, I agree the modern Ultegra is good looking and maybe the most proper group for the Klein. The new Chorus is kinda hot as well.

Radiokopf

by Radiokopf

I built a Klein Quantum Pro with a 11s Campa Record. It works well BUT be careful: I had to mount a cassette with 11-28.12-27 didn/t work with the frame.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I have a 1979 Klein Quantum. It is now wall art, way to stiff for this old body to ride, might as well put wheels on a jackhammer. Good luck with your restoration.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

That paint is amazing! Does it fit 25c tyres? Might make it marginally more comfortable...

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Upgrading the parts seem warranted as those frames still look very modern and stand up well against the competition.
You'll regret changing the original fork though. The paint was a special selling point for the Kleins.
Why change a matching fork on this build when you are not apparently aiming for absolute lowest weight?
The use of Thompson parts is also a good choice, they have a minimalist look that allows the frame to stand out and the parts are stout to match the characteristics of the frame.

eric01

by eric01

Always have a soft spot for kleins. An old silver quantum was my first "real" bike.

Agree with the post above. It'll look and ride great with modern ultegra!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Lynet

by Lynet

I used to have the exact same frame. Build up with Campagnolo Record 10sp and Zipp 404 clinchers, Thomson parts and all. Rode beautifully. I would keep the original fork. If you can find it at a reasonable price, go for Ultegra 6800 or Campagnolo Chorus.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com