Cutting carbon TT extension while fitted & with Di2...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Have a new TT rig and the extensions have had to come back a little too far for my liking. I'm comfortable cutting carbon, only the bars have Di2 wires running through it...

Any advice (aside from "carefully!" :lol: ) on how to trim without severing the wires would be terrific.

genesis692

by genesis692

Use a tube cutter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

Alas, a tube cutter still won't extract the intact wires from inside the cut off piece...I doubt you could demolish the cutoff with a clamp or vise grips without tearing up the insulation on the wires...

You may wish to familiarize yourself with some procedure for removing and reinstalling the wires. Might be better to get a shop to do it if it's not really "user serviceable" .

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Tinea, I remember we had a similar question quite some time ago. The solution to the the issue was to make a circumferencal cut around the bar. (gently, as not to damage the wire.) and then make a longitudional cut in the piece you just sawed off. the wire goes through this channel.

Carbon fibre shall never be cut with pipe cutters :mrgreen:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Or you know, just unplug the wires ;)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Frankie - B wrote:Tinea, I remember we had a similar question quite some time ago. The solution to the the issue was to make a circumferencal cut around the bar. (gently, as not to damage the wire.) and then make a longitudional cut in the piece you just sawed off. the wire goes through this channel.

I just did precisely this. Thank god my girlfriend rides (and is rather patient).

Or you know, just unplug the wires

You don't say...

It's not E-tube, so wasn't an option. At least not one that would not take hours (as opposed to 30 minutes).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com