Grease on press fit BB?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Husum

by Husum

I'm about to put ceramic bearings on my road bike, but I can't seem to get a simple and clear answer on whether to put grease, carbon grease, loctite or absolutely nothing, but wipe the frame and bearings of with isopropyl/alcohol before installation?

Could someone clarify?

Edit: carbonfiber frame with aluminium cups

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

As a rule carbon-metal needs retainer ( I use Loctite 648 "green" ) , know shops using threadlockers with big success… . If bb shell is bit to much out of specs than grease works. For carbon fiber any "calcium based" grease is OK, I use red Canada Petro for marine use :) .

In mounting on loctite preperation is a key : acetone, then wipe AGAIN with clean cloth, now : activator, 5 min wait , retainer on both surfaces- press and leave for a while ( look at retainer specs ) .

From my experience BB which cause less troubles with assembly and creaking later on are Rotor brackets. NEVER had any issue with them .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Im no expert but I just used carbon assembly paste when I pressed in my BB cups. No creaking or probpems after about 10000km but I think my cups are actually plastic (HSC ceramic BB).

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

stormur wrote:As a rule carbon-metal needs retainer ( I use Loctite 648 "green" ) , know shops using threadlockers with big success… . If bb shell is bit to much out of specs than grease works. For carbon fiber any "calcium based" grease is OK, I use red Canada Petro for marine use :) .

In mounting on loctite preperation is a key : acetone, then wipe AGAIN with clean cloth, now : activator, 5 min wait , retainer on both surfaces- press and leave for a while ( look at retainer specs ) .

From my experience BB which cause less troubles with assembly and creaking later on are Rotor brackets. NEVER had any issue with them .

+1 on the use of Loctite retaining compound

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I just installed ceramic 386Evo cubs from FSA and used primer and loctite and the bb is silent as it can be.

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

This may sound daft, but glue for tubular tires actually works fine for both metal and plastic BB pressfit cups. It kept things nice and quiet on my last Tarmac SW SL4 and BH G6 frames.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I've actually used tubular glue too. I used it on a BB90 setup. Works perfect as the glue will hold things tight but easy to remove and cleanup.

Husum

by Husum

Opted for a small bit of grease due to not having any of the correct Loctite laying around.

Here's the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsOeubnRsJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkZiaRKZrRg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com