Relative flexibility of beaded housing systems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

I didn't get any responses to the following request, so I'm opening a new topic which I hope will engender discussion and recommendations.

I've decided using a beaded housing will best address my problem of a tight bend into the interior of my Bontrager XXX carbon aero handlebars. Since Bontrager advises against enlarging the entry hole, this seems my only option. The systems I'm considering in alphabetical order are the Aican Bungarus, Alligator Ilink, Nokon and Power Cordz Swift. After reviewing the information on this site, I've concluded there's not enough difference in weight or cost for these housings to be an important factor.

What I haven't seen addressed specifically is how well each of these four systems will tolerate an approximately one inch 90 degree bend without introducing enough friction to adversely affect shifting or braking performance.

Does anyone have first hand comparative experience regarding the flexibility of these four systems. Does one stand out above the rest or since they're all beaded housings, do they offer comparable flexibility. Because of weight, I'll probably run Power Cordz cables through whichever housing I chose so would welcome advice on that as well.

Thanks again for your comments

sungod

by sungod

powercordz will do it without any problem, the liner/housing is the issue

with the small nokon beads (there are two sizes) you may be able to do it, but it'll be iffy, can't help with the other housings

for liner use the powercordz liner as it gives lower friction and does not tend to kink/crush the way the nokon liner can over time

with the nokon system you also get flexible metal sections that run from the shifters to the start of the the beads, these will do tight bends ok, i use them inside my cinelli bars, they could be cut to length if needed

you can see them emerging from the bars and entering the shifter here...

fsoa.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I believe the Aicans have the smallest outside diameter housings...