AX Lightness Leaf and Thomson Masterpiece

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alankstewart

by alankstewart

Hi,
wanted to know if anyone is using an AX Lightness Leaf saddle and a Thomson Masterpiece post?

I'm about to order the saddle but just wanted to be sure the saddle rails width enable it to fit exactly in the Thomson clamp

Thanks
Alan

Rick

by Rick

I am familiar with the Thomson, so I went out to look at the Leaf. I didn't notice anything unusual about the rails.
The Thomson clamp system is so simple and foolproof that I am really surprised every manufacturer doesn't use it. I have used the Masterpiece on 7mm round alloy, 7x9 mm carbon, and 7x8mm carbon. I don't see why it wouldn't fit just about anything.

Contrast that with more "high tech" systems like the Ritchey one-bolt, which seems to work adequately, but I had to go buy an extra special clamp just to switch from alloy to carbon rails.

I also like the Thomson because it clamps with a long continuous support on the bottom and all edges are nicely rounded. Nothing "bites" anything and it all has great support and gentle but firm clamping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silver

by silver

Rick, Leaf has 8mm round rails, that's the difference. But I have used the Masterpiece with Leaf without any issues on my MTB.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

@rick my guess would be patent issues or something, although they sure could make a mint by leasing it out....

alankstewart

by alankstewart

Well, my new AX Lightness Leaf Saddle arrived a few days ago from starbike.com and it is in fact a perfect fit inside the Thomson Masterpiece post. Pic here: http://t.co/Qfz29ZhiVN