Lake Shoe Cleat Position

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi All

I got hold of a pair of Lake CX237 yesterday and I noticed last night when I was setting up the cleats that the sole of the shoe is quite curved, which I presume will end up effecting the angle of my Speedplay cleat. Probably a bit hard to explain without posting a photo (I can do that tonight) but has anyone else dealt with this? I assume it can be compensated by float adjustment but time will tell.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

I have the same shoes and pedals. Not sure what you mean though. I see the curve of the sole but the 3 to 4 bolt adapter plate seems to fit fine.

Not great angle for what you are describing. Will take another one tonight.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

If you look at the base of the shoe with the heel flush against an object, the cleat holes are on an angle following the curve of the sole...if that makes sense (sorry, blurry photo :oops: ) Every other shoe I've ever had has always had the bottom cleat mounting holes in a straight line across the shoe base.

Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

sychen

by sychen

Holly white Lakes with zeros batman..

I have a different adapter. That's why there's not the same issue with the curve.. See pictures below of the front and back. Mine came with my pedals I think... Or was it in the shoe box... Can't remember exactly.

ImageImage

Fixie82

by Fixie82

As Sychen said there is a 3 Bolt Adapter that comes with the cleats as well as a selection of wedges for the toe and heel side. The wedges allow you to match the curvature of your shoes sole while keeping the adapter plate and thus your cleat flat. Looks like you have a different adapter as these are black not the silver you have.

spud

by spud

think the poster is referring to the "yaw" angle of the cleat attachment, not camber of the sole. it makes no difference (within reason), you just have to adjust the stops on the cleat accordingly, just so long as the spindle is not being bottomed out against the yellow mid-layer of the cleat.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Fixie82 wrote:Looks like you have a different adapter as these are black not the silver you have.

Yes, the silver adapters may be the aftermarket ones from Speedplay that allow an additional 10mm of rearward cleat offset. It is tough to tell from the pics, but if they are indeed the rearward offset ones then that may explain part of why they look different if the cleats are sitting further back on a narrower part of the sole.

I agree with spud that the yaw angle of the cleats does not matter as long as you have enough range with the adjustment screws to get the angle you want with a few degrees of float both in/out.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Yep I was referring to the yaw angle. I was just curious if anyone had any issues. My foot was closer to the chain stay as I assumed it would be, so I adjusted the float screws to compensate after testing on the first ride. Seems to be OK now. Thanks for the comments :D
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I just wanted to revive this thread since I just purchased a pair.

My feet are an anomaly. They're abnormally wide. Anyway getting to the point:

I tried on a pair of Lake CX331s in a 42 and found it long and doesn't cup my heel well. I did the foot measurement thing as suggested on the website. It put me for 39 but my flippers won't fit in there based on the size chart. I ordered a 40.5 which is about 1.5mm long and 2mm narrow - I should be OK correct considering leather stretches?

I wear 40.5 in Bont. I bought these 237s as I need something more forgiving than the uppers of my Vaypors (have the Silver).

Thank you.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I assume you ordered the wide version? Yes you would think the leather will give some, not sure how much. For reference my wide version is sized at 110.9mm width, and I measured my foot to be around 100mm. It only gets too tight width wise if I crank on the BOA, but you probably wouldn't want a wider foot than what the sizing is specified as. But then again it may be fine. Unfortunately with shoes you need to try them out on a ride for a few hours at least to get an idea. Then if they don't suit it's too late to return them so eBay, etc it is. This is my 3rd pair after selling off the other 2 :x
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Shoe sizing is such Voodoo Magic, you could spend hours analysing the numbers and still come up with the wrong size shoes. Fortunately I have horseshoes up my arse and ordered online without much difficulty. Today I decided to try the Bont Vaypors on before buying. My large foot measures out at (276mm)x110 but with the current Lake 401 I can get away with a 43.5(273.5-276)x97.9 and with the Lake Cross shoe I can get away with 43 wide (270.9-273)x110.9 which fits even better. There is only one sizing chart for both Lake shoes last I checked.
Now the Bont standard fit in 44 (277mm)x96-107 seems to fit me nicely before the heat molding process. My big toe is right to the end but with molding it will make room or at least it did with the Lake. Oh BTW I did make the assumption 44 would fit based on the Lake data. According to the Bont sizing chart I should be wearing 45 wide. So the charts for me are never an exact science.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Couple other things I would like to mention for Bont. When I emailed requesting info on the Speedplay sole availability they were quick to respond with an answer stating the Vaypor,and Vaypor + can be ordered with four hole configuration. I know some on this site were commenting on the poor service in the past so I didnt have high hopes of a quick answer. Lets hope that is a thing of the past.
On the other hand when I emailed Lake requesting the Speedplay drilling on the 402 43 wide I have not received any info yet and I also called the distributor with the same questions and again nothing. I guess everyone has a different experience when it comes to customer support. Anyway I think the Bont is going to be my next choice. I also checked their hole location which seems to be pretty much centered on the ball of the foot which is good for me.

roadman

by roadman

Don't think you can have Lake in Speedplay and wide. Its one or the other. Use the 3 bolt adapter on the wide.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

g32ecs wrote:I just wanted to revive this thread since I just purchased a pair.

My feet are an anomaly. They're abnormally wide. Anyway getting to the point:

I tried on a pair of Lake CX331s in a 42 and found it long and doesn't cup my heel well. I did the foot measurement thing as suggested on the website. It put me for 39 but my flippers won't fit in there based on the size chart. I ordered a 40.5 which is about 1.5mm long and 2mm narrow - I should be OK correct considering leather stretches?

I wear 40.5 in Bont. I bought these 237s as I need something more forgiving than the uppers of my Vaypors (have the Silver).

Thank you.

I dont think the Kangaroo stretches to much, actually but I believe they are heat moldable which should allow you to make a bit of room where needed when you heat them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

roadman wrote:Don't think you can have Lake in Speedplay and wide. Its one or the other. Use the 3 bolt adapter on the wide.

I was looking at the Lake website and under the 402 shoe when you scroll down to the dropbox of all the email questions people are asking that very question and Lake seem to contradict themselves on a couple of occasions saying they do to some and no they dont to others. There were more replies saying they do than dont. So I emailed to ask whether it was dependant on location/sizing or what the deal was. Still no answer. :noidea: Good thing I am not in a rush for shoes.