Winter wonder

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I ride a Cervelo s2 and Wilier Gran turismo and love them both. However my s2 is currently race bladed up acting as my rain bike. Daft really given I am so protective over all my gear. To that end I'm gonna do a bike to work for £1k and get a disc based steed for getting into the rain! I'm stuck with the halfords voucher but I can use this as specialized concept store with attached access to cannondale in Bristol, Mud dock giving me trek options or Halfords themselves. I'm thinking Synapse Alu 105 disc as my preference currently or specialized diverge with Sora. Any other sensible suggestions out there?

It will be for rainy 30-50 mile runs road only so cyclocross options not really needed.

arthurf

by arthurf

There are other bike shops signed up to the Halfords scheme so you can buy through them. My local shop, Mikes Bikes in Portishead, can accept Halfords C2W vouchers which gives you access to more brands. They do Genesis, Scott & Kona mainly. I would do that and get a Croix de Fer 10 for £850 and use the difference on mudguards etc.
Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the above

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I like the Synapse in that price range. The key is proper fender mounts front and back. I wouldn't buy any winter bike without 'em. Not just eyelets at the dropouts but also threaded mounting points at the BB and ideally rear brake bridge/seat stay (disc situation can complicate this a bit).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

aaric

by aaric

Synapse rival disc comes with custom fenders: Looks to be a nice bit of kit

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/b ... rival-disc

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

After all the deliberating and riding various bikes I've managed to secure a Kinesis TK3 ( full carbon fork, tapered head tube etc ) will post pics when it's here. Should be the perfect solution, decent geometry without the upright position of some solutions I looked at but with the clearance for 28s, proper guards, long drop calipers. Looking forward to getting out on it.