New De Rosa 888 SR Build advice wanted...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Hi, I'm new here but after a lot of research and figuring what I want out of my new Road build I ordered a De Rosa 888 Super King SR.

I plan on building it with Campagnolo SR Ti mechanical but I'm not sure if I should go with the 80 Anniversary or the new 2015? I can get them both for the same price. This will be a move from Shimano Dura Ace on my Madone 4.

I really like the Boyd 60mm Carbon Wheels they have ceramic bearings and in the test I've seen on youtube they roll forever.

I love my full FSA carbon cockpit but I'm looking at the full carbon Zipp and Enve setups as well. If you have any experience with these please chime in.

I'm riding Selle SMP Heavy 209 (320g) so I'm not sure where they got 209 number from LOL! Its super comfy but I might move to Selle Italia SLR or to a lighter weight version of my SMP.

I'm riding Look Keo's and will move to the Carbon Ti version.

I plan on going full ceramic bearings throughout.

I plan on keeping my Madone for daily and training rides and using my De Rosa for Crits Weekends and Special events.

What do you think, am I going the right direction with this?

Best Regards

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It sounds really good. What color is the De Rosa you're getting? Choosing between the Anniversary SR and the 2015 SR is really about the look you want. Although I haven't ridden the new 2015 stuff yet, I like the subtle functional changes they have made so it probably performs a bit better than the current version. I have an Anniversary group on one of my bikes and absolutely love the all matte finish, so if your new frame is a matte color, it would complement it nicely. Even the bolts on the brakes are all matted out. I really like it and it's got a nice classic look. You can't go wrong with either really. Tough call.
But the Enve or FSA cockpit and Boyd or Enve wheels? De Rosa frame, Campy group... why not some slap some of the new profile Boras on it and finish it off right.
Same goes for the cockpit... nothing wrong with the other brands, but couldn't you get something from 3T or Deda that would fit the bill. I know it's an aesthetic thing, but to my mind Zipp just doesn't belong on anything with such an Italian flare to it. Having said that, I've switched my saddles from Selle Italia to Specialized Romins, so take my previous comment for what it's worth. And I use Dura-Ace pedals as well. Go with what works for you first and foremost but sounds like this bike is more than just a "race tool" for you. It's your Sunday Best. Now, I don't go to church, but if I did, I'd be riding my Sunday best. And hell... I don't get why people ride their less than nicest bike for "training" etc. It's always more satisfying to be on your best bike, regardless of whether you're training or not. I'll bet when you get it you'll be riding it every ride and not just reserving it for the occasional special event. What a waste that would be.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

I would go for the new Super Record, but with the old style crankset. The new four arm cranks are hideous in my opinion.

As for the cockpit, I have to agree with the recommendation of using Deda parts to finish off an Italian build. Same goes for the wheels; forget the Boyd and go for some Campy wheels.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Thanks for the advice... I went for the Matte Carbon with Red White and the Italian flags on the rear stays. I thought FSA is Italian although made in Asia? I really like the aesthetics of the carbon finishes. I thinking about buying 3 sets of Boyds for my Madone my Wifes Felt and my De Rosa and at $1450.00 as set it makes it alittle easier. But maybe I can add a set of the Campy Bora's... I'll have to think about this.

The Bora's do look very nice...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

FSA (Full Speed Ahead) is an American company. Manufacturing in Asia.
Wow, that's a busy frame. Regardless of the wheels you get, I'd maybe be inclined to desticker them.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

I also went down one size to a 54 so I can keep the seat high extend the stem to get a bigger drop and racier position. My Madone is an H2 but it stem is slammed and seat is pretty high for a nice drop. It does have a lot of graphics but for some reason it really appeals to me. They have a plainer colorway in matte carbon but it was less interesting to me

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

I just ordered the Campy 80th Anniversary Ergo Levers Front and Rear Derailleurs

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They're parting it out? Generally you get it as a complete kit in a fancy case. Don't you want the brakes and cranks to match?
And yes, if you prefer the heavily logo'd look then by all means go for it. That's totally an individual preference.

And just how many bikes do you have sitting on display stands in your yard in that last picture? :up:

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

LOL those were just case studies... Yeah, I found them separately online in the UK for less than half the cost in the US. I ordered my Dura Ace from them before and it does a some time to get your product but you save a lot in the process. I just order the 80th Anniversary brakes and cranks as well.

tinozee

by tinozee

I thought FSA was italian (via Taiwan). Nice De Rosas! I like the King XS in white.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

None. FSA is a Taiwanese company with sales offices in Italy and US. They do conceal it well, though ;-)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm going to stick with FSA being an American company first, started in the 70's or thereabout in Woodinville, WA, USA. They have grown enormously since then. Hence, offices in Europe (Italy), and manufacturing in Asia. Their Worldwide headquarters moved to Mukilteo, WA, USA a few years ago... still in the Pacific Northwest. I think they would like people to believe they are an Italian company, especially when it comes to bicycle components. They started out as a privately held company and I think they still are, but perhaps they've been bought out wholly or partially by a huge Asian company but I'm not aware that.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

So I have the entire Campga 80th Group Set ordered and I looked at their wheel selection for Campga Bora Ultra 2 and they only have the 80th Anniversary tubular for half price. I've only ever ridden clinchers and have no desire to get into tubs but a set of 80th Anniversary for under $2000.00 has me thinking this could be the theme of my De Rosa 888...

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I've never been to impressed with FSA stuff always gets speced to bring price down from what I've seen. I'd go with ENVE, Deda, 3t, or Zipp (in that order).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I'm not a fan of FSA either.
Regarding the wheels, you said you were looking at the 80th Anniversary set. Even though you can get a deal, you said you wanted to stay away from tubulars. And I'd still hold off a bit and get the new ones coming out, with the slightly wider profile, same silky smooth hubs and you can get them in clincher if you want. It'll be the first generation of Bora all carbon clinchers so I hope they've got it right. It's coming together nicely looks like.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com