Campagnolo revolution S2 system

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

russianbear

by russianbear

I see the 2015 revolution front dérailleurs can be had with or without "S2". What exactly is it? Campy's website isn't helping and my google fu is failing me.

spud

by spud

It refers to the tab or lever which bolts onto the top of the mounting. The tab is adjustable to sit against the seat tube and stiffen the base assembly for improved shifting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

It is a stiffener that presses against the seat tube to counter the flex of thin-walled tubing, should your bike have such an issue. The new FD does up to 45Nm of shifting force to the big ring versus the 32Nm of the 2014 and below design.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

To gently correct Fishyskawa, it's more to counter flex in the front derailleur mounting itself, than flex resulting from a thin tube wall ... the new-design 2015 FDs are all available either with or without S2 fittings - it's only some FD mounts that are insufficiently rigid as to require the additional stabilisation of the FD in order to give good shifting.

Of course it will never be a problem to use S2 if you don't really need to ...

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
UK Main Campagnolo SC
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

neeb

by neeb

Hi Graeme (or anyone else!)

Would you recommend a standard or an S2 front derailleur for a 1st generation Scott Foil?

Thanks.

em3

by em3

...just go wth the S2 to start. You can simply remove the small lever arm if not needed.

neeb

by neeb

em3 wrote:...just go wth the S2 to start. You can simply remove the small lever arm if not needed.

Yup, did that. The Foil has the derailleur mount close to the frame so I'm not convinced that the S2 is necessary (it doesn't really fit well against the frame anyway). But it's best to have this version in case needed for a future frame.

What IS definitely needed for the Foil Mk.I is the special washer (FD-CE011) that stops the cable catching on the derailleur. Really annoying that Campagnolo doesn't include this in the box and it has to be ordered separately. Once properly set up though the front shifting is much, much better than on the pre-2015 groupsets IMO, a real revelation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com