BMC Teammachine SLR01

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1234SO

by 1234SO

I am considering to buy a BMC Teammachine (size 56). Can anybody share experiences with this bike? I am currently riding a Cervelo R3 from 2011 and would be interested how the BMC compares to it. Especially: Is it lively and how does it corner?

jimborello

by jimborello

I had a 2012 BMC Teammachine SLR01 and it is an awesome bike, you cant go wrong with BMC. The only thing I dont love about them is the steep price you have to pay for them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coneill0422

by coneill0422

I have test rode some and they are great bikes, they feel smooth and blend out the bumps in the road but it seams that when you want to put the power down, especially on the climbs, the bike wants to go and is stiff. That is just my two sense.

Miller

by Miller

tinozee

by tinozee

Wow that is a good deal.

Ritterview

by Ritterview

1234SO wrote:I am considering to buy a BMC Teammachine (size 56). Can anybody share experiences with this bike?

Not to the point yet where I can comment on the riding qualities, but hopefully next week.

killerrabbit

by killerrabbit

Seriously, you can't go wrong with their bikes. I just received an SLR02 and it's a blast. I've also tried the SLR01. It had a bit more of a kick, and felt smoother as well. Pretty much what'd you expect for a few grand more. But in the end I decided to put the extra money towards wheels.. Good luck!

1234SO

by 1234SO

I had the chance to test the SLR1 and found it really impressive. I ended up ordering the Emonda SLR though. I like the look more and found the handling as good as the one of the BMC.

Jaroslaw

by Jaroslaw

Some people complained about little air bubbles forming under the clear coat after some time on BMC frames.
I can't find the thread now, but just a heads up, there might be some cosmetic imperfections.

mimason

by mimason

I hear they size differently like some italian bikes. I just went from a giant 57 to a doggie 54

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Sweet ride just had a chance to ride one of these frames built with Sram Force, and it handled great and felt comfortable. Was a little heavy but had stock Easton ea50 wheels.

amb001

by amb001

Built my SLR01 about 6 months ago and done around 1800 miles on it. I went for the redesigned 2014 model frame and have not regretted it once.

Makes for a light bike that is quick on the flats and the hills.

I'm about 5'6 and felt a size 51 was best for me

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I used to ride a Cervelo R3SL, Parlee Z4, Time and a speedvagen. I still have my Speedvagen and wanted a carbon bike with BB30 and modern stuff to be more snappier in the hills where I live (LA).

I haven't been more pleased than I currently am with the BMC SLR01. This bike rips! It's just a perfect mix of granfondo feel and pro tour feel. When you're in the saddle squirting around town, it's beyond comfy but with enough snap and stiffness to let you know you're on something great. When you're in the hills, the bike lunges forward on switchbacks and the handling is amazing. It's not razor sharp or super slow, it's perfect. You can get some pretty gnarly lean angles with the BMC geometry. My speedvagen is a 57.5cm frame and I'm riding a 55cm BMC. I sized down a bunch and the BMC has a super tall HT, but it looks good. Not like the Parlee with extended goofball looking HT. I run a 120mm stem on the 56cm Top Tube and I've never been more comfortable on a road bike. I've been contemplating selling my BMC for a BH ultralight Evo Weight weenie build (THM, AX lightness, etc). I'm finding it super hard to part ways with this frame because it's that good.

My buddy has been looking for a Tarmac SL4 for a year or so. I keep telling him to get a 2014 BMC SLR01. He'll be amazed at how good these bikes are. I haven't rebuilt my speedvagen because the BMC is that good!

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

fifty3

by fifty3

I do have a 2011 BMC SLR01 (got it new on competitive cyclist) It was great until 2014 when I notice a shifting problem. After taking it to my bike shop we found a very worn rear drive side carbon drop out. My cassette was almost into the frame. Had to a put a spacer in between the cassette and drop out just to keep riding it. My frame also got the little air bubbles forming under the clear coat as well. So far BMC would only offer me 30% off for a new frame. I am just gonna get someone to fix the carbon drop out for me a ride it until this falls apart.

NickD51

by NickD51

Updating this thread with that ever popular "do the wheels/tires fit" question. Could not find an answer with searches for this bike. I am contemplating getting a 58 cm SLR01 and like bigger tires. That 402 chainstay really helps BB stiffness but makes for a very tight wheel fit. All their models ship with 23 tires. I am curious if any owners (SLR02 and 03 are the same chainstay) are using fatter 25 mm Michelin clinchers or wider rims like HED, Pacenti, Enve, or Zipp and other 25 mm clinchers with this bike and how they fit? I was unable to do wheel swaps during my test rides and did receive two opposing opinions from shop staff.

For others contemplating this bike, one of the rarely mentioned pluses is the 60+ trail number for the front end. One of BMC's standard geo offerings. This really helps relaxing on the bike and focusing on applying power to the pedals. It encourages longer rides. I suggested trying one of the SLR's to two different endurance bike folks. They agreed that they are refocusing their purchase decision here. The handling is still sharp when you want it to be. In the past, us big guys (190 cm here) had to settle for low trail numbers in bigger bikes when we need more, due to higher center of gravity. Most companies are still ignoring this. Some like Spesh and Cannondale are just stiffening the front end. I guess cheaper than providing a lower rake fork for bigger sizes. Nice to see Fuji is doing this on their new SL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com