Scott Addict Cannondale SISL2 Crankset Compatibily?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

I recently purchased a 2014 Scott Addict SL built with the full Shimano Dura Ace 9000 mechanical gruppo. Seeing that the Cannondale Hollowgram SISL2 crank set is more than 100 grams lighter than the Dura Ace and liking the looks of the SISL2 crank against the black mat finish of the Addict SL, I purchased the SISL2 crank intending to substitute it for the already installed Dura Ace.

Realizing the SISL2 crank has a 30MM spindle and the Dura Ace only a 24MM, I knew I'd have to change bottom brackets as well. What I didn't anticipate is the Addict is apparently incompatible with the SISL2 crank set. The Addict bottom bracket shell is 86.5MM wide so there are many bottom brackets that would substitute for width. However, Scott uses a bottom bracket shell hole which is only 41MM in diameter. This seems to limit the available space to allow only 24MM bearings and not 30MM.

Does anyone know of any bottom brackets, adapters or machining that could be done to install the SISL2 crank in my Scott Addiction? Surely someone has addressed this problem previously but I couldn't find any search information. In lieu of any other options, I'll give up on my plan of substituting crank sets and be forced to sell the new SISL2 crank.

Thanks for your response.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

wootenlakeguy, the BB86 standard is 86.5x41. Scott haven't modified it or changed it. BB86 is for 24/25mm diam. axles.

There are adapters, one is the Rotor 4130. The downside is the bearings are small and durability can be compromised.

Sorry, haven't got time but do a search as this has been discussed quite a few times.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

The SISL2 won't fit. The axle is too short. There's nothing you can do.
If you want to fit a 30mm crank in a BB86, you can use Rotor 3D+, for instance, with the cons 585 already mentioned - small bearings and compromised durability.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Having gone through more then a couple sets of bearings already on my SI's and moving to a more durable heavier bearings the previous advice makes all the sense in the world....

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

I've got the new SISL2 109MM spindle instead of the older 104MM spindle, so bottom bracket width isn't an issue. Beyond that, what I'm hearing is the only way I can use the SISL2 crank set in an Addiction SL frame is by using an aftermarket 41MM adaptor with undersized bearings. Doing this will compromise bottom bracket durability and require frequent bearing replacement. Since I ride about 1,000 miles per month, that seems a big penalty just to save 100 grams.

It's still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Scott, even though they're marketing their top of the line bike as one of the best available, doesn't offer a design which will accommodate the arguably best crank set.

Thanks for your replies.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Bottom bracket width is an issue...there is no way you will get it to work with your frame. Hollowgram only work with bb30/pf30 frames.
There have been many topics discussing this issue (hollowgrams in a bb86). Use the search for further evidence.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

The comment above regarding the use of smaller bearings only applies to cranks with 30mm diameter spindles that are long enough to fit in a bb86/bsa frame. Unfortunately the hollowgram spindle is not long enough.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

wootenlakeguy wrote:It's still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Scott, even though they're marketing their top of the line bike as one of the best available, doesn't offer a design which will accommodate the arguably best crank set.

Read at least this one: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/c ... ets-36660/ (which you should have done anyway before making your purchases ;) ), before you bash Scott.

There's nothing wrong with BB86 Scott is using. Neither is anything wrong with the SISL2 crank, but that was designed and manufactured intended for a different BB system (BB30/PF30), which has both advantages as well as disadvantages. Anyway, for the manufacturer (Cannondale) compatibility with 24mm-spindle-diameter bottom brackets absolutely wasn't a design priority. Therefore, true BB30 cranks DO NOT work in BSA and or BB86 frames.

Plus, the DA crank is one of the best anyway. If you want to save 100g, do it on wheels.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Omiar

by Omiar

There is no downside due to the fact that Rotor 4130 bearings are smaller than standard BB bearings. Most bearings die due to contamination.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

Thanks for the numerous replies to this post. I've learned much including the option of the VXB bearings. This was the first I'd heard of them. Reports of their durability make them sound like they'd be a better option than the Rotor 4130 bearings. I'm still somewhat confused by all the various bb specifications and compatibility, but as I understand it, either the VXB or the Rotor 4130 bearings would work with my Scott Addiction SL with its 41MM bottom bracket shell diameter. However, what won't work for either bearing is the spindle length of my Cannondale SISL2 Crank set. I have the latest version with a 109MM spindle, but that's still short of the 115MM minimum required for either bearing.

So, to the extent my assumptions are accurate and unless I could find a custom made 115MM spindle for my SISL2 crank, I'll try and sell the unused crank while hopefully not incurring too much loss.

xntrickly

by xntrickly

Which VXB bearing set did you find to fit your bike (as opposed to rotor's 4130)? Also as someone else posted on my recent question... a longer spindle might allow you or me to fit the crankset on the bike but the q factor would be really wide because the shape of the arm is for BB30 and flares out from the BB shell. Don't know about you but I need a narrow qfactor so the longer spindle isn't an option.

Cheers.

wingguy

by wingguy

wootenlakeguy wrote:It's still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Scott, even though they're marketing their top of the line bike as one of the best available, doesn't offer a design which will accommodate the arguably best crank yet.

What's so hard to understand? Scott have decided to use a BB standard they believe offers the best total package of frame, crank and BB performance - a belief shared with, among others, Shimano, Campagnolo, Giant and Trek. Cannondale have gone in another direction.

The chance of Scott redesigning their frames just so they can say 'hey, now you can use a Cannondale crank!' is vanishingly small :wink:

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

The VXB bearing can be found at the following link. Because of my 109MM spindle length, they won't help me, but they're reported to work well with the 386Evo format. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id375.html

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Keep in mind that, IF a 115mm spindle miraculously appeared, you would be pushing the chainline of the crank 3mm (4 actually, but for the sake of simplicity I'll call it 3) to the right, which is a lot.
To summarize, as mentioned earlier, there is NO WAY you will get a Hollowgram crank to properly work on your frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

wootenlakeguy wrote:Thanks for the numerous replies to this post. I've learned much including the option of the VXB bearings. This was the first I'd heard of them. Reports of their durability make them sound like they'd be a better option than the Rotor 4130 bearings. I'm still somewhat confused by all the various bb specifications and compatibility, but as I understand it, either the VXB or the Rotor 4130 bearings would work with my Scott Addiction SL with its 41MM bottom bracket shell diameter. However, what won't work for either bearing is the spindle length of my Cannondale SISL2 Crank set. I have the latest version with a 109MM spindle, but that's still short of the 115MM minimum required for either bearing.

So, to the extent my assumptions are accurate and unless I could find a custom made 115MM spindle for my SISL2 crank, I'll try and sell the unused crank while hopefully not incurring too much loss.

First, see above post regarding chainline. You would need to somehow move the chainrings inward (not possible) to correct for the increase in width...

The 109mm spindle is intended for use on standard, BB30/PF30 frames. These have a shell width of 68mm.
So, a 109 spindle fits a 68 shell. You will point out that the 104 also fit, and the SiSL2 spindle/crank use spacers. Fine, there is 2.5mm on the drive side and about 5mm on the non-drive, so there's an extra 7mm there at best..

You are trying to accomodate an 86mm shell, thereby requiring far in excess of a 115mm spindle; more precisely, you would need somewhere around a 128mm spindle... This is possible, as the MOUNTAIN spindle (which is compatible) is far longer, at 137mm on current SiSL2 variations.

The crank can be installed on bb86 or even BSA frames, the ISSUE is chainline!!!
AS ABOVE, the chainline will be all over the place and unlikely to work well.