HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:11 am 

Quote:
¢¨ ²£«~Focus
>> 1. Campagnolo±À¥Xª¦©Y±M¥Î¾¦½L

¦b¥«³õ¤@¤ùCompactªº­·¼é¤§¤U¡ACampagnolo¤]¬°ª¦©Y¦Ó±À¥X¤F¥i·f°t¸û¤p¾¦ ªºCompactºÒÅÖºû¦±¬`¡Aµ¥¯Å¬°³»¯ÅªºRecord¤Î¤G¯ÅªºChorus¡A±N´£¨Ñ34/48¡B34 /50¡B36/50ªº¤j¾¦¤ù·f°t¡A¹w­p¨ä»ù®æ±N»P¥¿±`ª©ªº»ù®æ¬Û¦P¡A¦Ó¨Ñ³fªº®É¶¡¦Ü¤Ö ­n¨ì¤µ¦~¤C¤ë¤§«á¡C

I can't read it either :shock: .
But apparently it is Campagnolo Record/Chorus in 34/48, 34/50. 36/50.
I read somewhere that they are opening new branches in Japan and maybe China.
Millen/Velocity will let us know, I'm sure.

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:11 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:06 am 

cadence90 wrote:
Quote:
¢¨ ²£«~Focus

¦b¥«³õ¤@¤ùCompactªº­·¼é¤§¤U¡ACampagnolo¤]¬°ª¦©Y¦Ó±À¥X¤F¥i·f°t¸û¤p¾¦ ªºCompactºÒÅÖºû¦±¬`¡Aµ¥¯Å¬°³»¯ÅªºRecord¤Î¤G¯ÅªºChorus¡A±N´£¨Ñ34/48¡B34 /50¡B36/50ªº¤j¾¦¤ù·f°t¡A¹w­p¨ä»ù®æ±N»P¥¿±`ª©ªº»ù®æ¬Û¦P¡A¦Ó¨Ñ³fªº®É¶¡¦Ü¤Ö ­n¨ì¤µ¦~¤C¤ë¤§«á¡C

I was trying to find a chinese translater on the web.. no luck! You did better then me Cadence! So am I a bit naive about this.. i thought campy components were soley made in Italy. I guess that may not be true (or is it?). :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:48 am 

bobalou wrote:
cadence90 wrote:
Quote:
¢¨ ²£«~Focus

I was trying to find a chinese translater on the web.. no luck! You did better then me Cadence! So am I a bit naive about this.. i thought campy components were soley made in Italy. I guess that may not be true (or is it?). :?:

I thought so too, I've been to the factory in Vicenza and it hums. :!:
(But, like everyone else, they probably outsource a lot.)
I don't know if the article says they're actually making them in Taiwan though, it may just be a news scoop regarding the fact that Campagnolo is getting into this component...you'd figure they have to, wherever they're produced: FSA is becoming some serious competition.
I wrote Millen/Velocity to ask what they've spied. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:23 pm 

cadence90 wrote:
[snip]..Taiwan though, it may just be a news scoop regarding the fact that Campagnolo is getting into this component...you'd figure they have to, wherever they're produced: FSA is becoming some serious competition.
I wrote Millen/Velocity to ask what they've spied. :wink:

My issue of Velonews just arrived. Fantastic article on new stuff for next year. But one thing pointed out, Campagnolo has a new factory in Japan! Another thing pointed out, FSA is ALREADY the lead maker of carbon fiber cranks in the world. I think you're right, they're gearing up for the new competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:02 pm 

Believe you misread the article in Velonews. There is no factory in Japan. Sales/distribution office. Also, Veloce and below parts have been sourced in China for some time. Just like the low-end for Shimano and all other gear companies. Nothing new there. The new part is that the carbon stuff and high-end frames are coming out of Tiawan. Including the new magnesium frames. Tough to compete with folks who will do good work and live in shacks without good plumbing and terrible pollution. I'm retired from the semiconductor chip making industry. Same story there. Can't compete with folks who dump their hazardous by-products into the ground water, oceans, sky, etc., and pay subsistance wages. Brought to you by the global economy and out-sourcing. My apology for sounding so political.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 pm 

Scapin/Dean wrote:
Believe you misread the article in Velonews. There is no factory in Japan. Sales/distribution office. Also, Veloce and below parts have been sourced in China for some time. Just like the low-end for Shimano and all other gear companies. Nothing new there. The new part is that the carbon stuff and high-end frames are coming out of Tiawan. Including the new magnesium frames.

Will I deserve to be corrected if I got it wrong (thanks!). Big difference between factory and sales/dist. office. I don't have the magazine in front of me cause I'm at work now but will check the article again when I get home. I do seem to remember some cool stuff coming out though. Campy will do carbon chainrings for example. Some centaur will be offered in carbon. Easton is doing some new stuff also with bars, etc. Carbon brakes from campy... etc.

Quote:
wages. Brought to you by the global economy and out-sourcing. My apology for sounding so political.

Just reminds me: poli=many, tics=bloodsucking parasites! :wink: You've got a great point though, hard to compete with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:31 pm 

Does anyone get that Club Campagnolo email newsletter, from Campagnolo's site?
There was a blurb in there re: Japan, but I don't remember if it was branch office or factory (I think branch), and I dumped the email already....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:31 am 

The people in bike industry never think the way like we do as consumers. Companies maybe competitors in global market but when one company can't meet demands it may approch their competitor to do sub-process or even the whole product. It's all about profit for everybody.

I never believe products on the market all came from a single factory and in most situation different batch of the same product may come from different manufacturer.

Most manufacturers in Taiwan do not care whatever brand or label the seller puts on their products as long as the orders keep coming in. Bigger players like Giant, Merida, Tien Hsin(FSA) etc see the bigger profit of going direct, they invested big money getting the marketing done and building the distribution channel. But who can be sure that all their products came from their own factories.

I believe that most of Campagnolo products are assembled in Italy but I can't be sure about the sub-assembly and spare parts. Campy is still very slow when it comes to delivery orders and it can be a sign that it's still Italian. I don't care where it came from as long as it works as it should be without high failures.

As for new products, consumers like us are always last to know the "news" which already are "history" in bike industry. Lets face it "news" from sales office are already "history" for engineering dept from each manufacturer. I never believe in what marketing people says since they usually have no idea of what's happening at production floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:23 am 

Well put, Millen, thank you. As in many other industries, global diffusion of labor and production; specialization of out-source fabricators; and multi-branding for the same genetics will continue to be the trend....Regionalism is over.
Millen wrote:
Campy is still very slow when it comes to delivery orders and it can be a sign that it's still Italian.

Verissimo... that's true. When Campagnolo products start flooding the market on time, it means Vicenza will only be a headquarters, and sadly no longer a true factory. Povero Tullio :cry: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:33 am 

Millen wrote:

I believe that most of Campagnolo products are assembled in Italy but I can't be sure about the sub-assembly and spare parts. Campy is still very slow when it comes to delivery orders and it can be a sign that it's still Italian. I don't care where it came from as long as it works as it should be without high failures.

Do you work in the bike industry? I see you're located in asia, just a guess on my part.

You're certainly right about campy being slow, I waited a long time for the chain (new 2004 record) to come and it was months after initially promised. I waited for a record carbon crank last year just as long... but you know, taiwan is slow too! Look at all those FSA backorded cranks. I just got my American Classic ISIS BB (made in taiwan) a couple days ago. It took a few months. Can't wait to put it on the bike actually, but I don't have the tool!! LOL. Hopefully that isn't backordered!

When it comes down to it I think it's worth the wait for quality, inexpensive parts. Although, as was pointed out earlier, it's a political thing.. tell me, are you willing to pay considerably more for parts built here with the same quality? I think that's the hard question, the political question, why all this outsourcing to Asia (or India for that matter! .. although not bike parts).

Well, to answer my own question, I think it's worth paying more for a (made in the USA) Moots or litespeed .. but in the end, it's foreign parts that will go on the beast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:52 pm 

as per campagnolo parts taking a logn time to get. i ordered my record group this past monday (through QBP) and it was in my store on thursday. and on my bike by friday. yes the wallet is very light. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:14 pm 

saletel wrote:
as per campagnolo parts taking a logn time to get. i ordered my record group this past monday (through QBP) and it was in my store on thursday. and on my bike by friday. yes the wallet is very light. :shock:

Congratulations on the fast shipment! I have found with campy it's either feast or famine when it comes to ordering.. right now might be a feast time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:27 pm 

Here is the link to the Campy Pro-Shop, which is what they are opening in Japan. Is distribution and service.

http://www.campagnolo.com/proshop.php?sec=di

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:31 pm 

I've never had a problem getting anything I want from Campy as long as I am willing to pay full retail. If I want a discount then I often have to wait a few days for it to come through the distribution chain. But a bit of judicious shopping on the internet can almost always overcome that. My worst wait was three weeks ago finding a medium length '04 RD. Took me ten days to find one at discount. Sorry for the double post.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:45 pm 

Scapin/Dean wrote:
Here is the link to the Campy Pro-Shop, which is what they are opening in Japan. Is distribution and service.

http://www.campagnolo.com/proshop.php?sec=di

Yes, I guess it's no big deal if it's just a pro-shop. I don't suppose it's likely (or a good marketing move!) that campy would ever announce certain product lines are <i>made</i> in asia. It would be interesting to hear from someone like velocity or anyone in the know as to what exactly comes from where. I know I'd like to know!

Quote:
I've never had a problem getting anything I want from Campy as long as I am willing to pay full retail. If I want a discount then I often have to wait a few days for it to come through the distribution chain. But a bit of judicious shopping on the internet can almost always overcome that. My worst wait was three weeks ago finding a medium length '04 RD. Took me ten days to find one at discount. Sorry for the double post.

I waited for a campy carbon crank last year for four months .. okay maybe actually a year-and-a-half ago. Now they're easy to find. I waited this year for four months for the new record 04 chain. I suspect they're easy to find now also, although if one were buying a grouppo maybe the chains were available with them months ago. Long cage centaur derailleur left me waiting also (about a month). Anyway.. it's worth the wait IMHO.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next