compact crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nikh

by nikh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

Thanks nikh, I saw those too, but Andrew refers to a "a special version of their new Sixpack road crank"...maybe he mis-wrote and meant a new version "Bigfoot" :?: ....but they normally know what they're referring to at Posh....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

cadence90 wrote:Thanks nikh, I saw those too, but Andrew refers to a "a special version of their new Sixpack road crank"...maybe he mis-wrote and meant a new version "Bigfoot" :?: ....but they normally know what they're referring to at Posh....

The new hex taper BB is called Sixpack, the crank is still named Big Foot.
There might be a special 85 g version of the Sixpack BB with full ceramic bearings, but at ~3000 Euro it will blast everyones wallet.

cadence90

by cadence90

Florian wrote:
cadence90 wrote:Thanks nikh, I saw those too, but Andrew refers to a "a special version of their new Sixpack road crank"...maybe he mis-wrote and meant a new version "Bigfoot" :?: ....but they normally know what they're referring to at Posh....

The new hex taper BB is called Sixpack, the crank is still named Big Foot.
There might be a special 85 g version of the Sixpack BB with full ceramic bearings, but at ~3000 Euro it will blast everyones wallet.

thanks Florian for the update:
I never carry 3000 Euro in my wallet: it would be tooooo heavy :lol:
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

ok, I'd LOVE to hear the reason they made the axle six-sided. odd. :?

bobalou

by bobalou

cadence90 wrote:I am thinking of building up a compact crankset for road use.
11/23 or 12/25 with 50/34 or maybe 52/36

Has anyone used the FSA Compact 50/34? Reactions?
I guess they have decent reviews, but (and I know looks ain't everything) the spider looks ugly to me.

Any other options out there for complete crankset or just crank arms with a 110 BCD?

Thanks.

It's a fine option compared to using a triple. For most all of my training and for most club rides I use a 11-23 or 12-25 with a standard crank, but I'm getting into Randonneur (see http://www.rusa.org/ for more info) which are major endurance events, most are multi-day events with major climbs. These events are not about speed but rather, conserving energy. I was going to get a triple but opted for the compact when putting together my randonneur bike. The FSA 50-34 is a great crank, I don't see where you think it's ugly.. I never even thought about that actually! Anyway, I think it certainly looks better then any triple. Considerably lighter also.

I think I'd said in a previous post that Tyler Hamilton used a compact crank on the mountain stages. It was because he couldn't stand on the pedals, he had to spin it since he had a fractured collarbone. But, it had to do with his style too. There are actually quite a few pro riders that use compact cranks in difficult mountain stages, it's not really a new thing or a fad and it's no doubt here to stay.

Anyway, the bottom line is what kind of rider (spinner or standing on the pedals) you are, and what kind of rides you do. IMHO a compact beats getting a triple or having a big honker cassette (with large cage derailleur) in the back any day.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Hey cadence90 - another option for you in the compact cranks and a 53/34 combo! 550gm

Maxium double rather than a triple
Dear Lennard,
I have seen a different chainring configuration used on one of the bikes reviewed in your recent Buyer's Guide. The 53/34 combination seems to be an interesting way to avoid the use of a triple chainring and would seem well suited for mountainous riding but might be less than ideal in rolling terrain.

I would like to know how this would be best setup and if you think it would work well. --Mark

Dear Mark,
You are referring to the Pinarello carbon crank. I have not tried it, but it seems like a great idea to me, as an alternative to a triple. Fausto Pinarello raves about it on his bike and rides near the front on many long, mountainous Gran Fondo races in Italy. It would be lighter, and it would seem that it would shift faster, by virtue of short-cage derailleurs. The downside would be that the small spider would make replacement chainrings hard to find. --Lennard
Attachments
full_carbon_01.jpg

bobalou

by bobalou

nzkiwiguy wrote:
It would be lighter, and it would seem that it would shift faster, by virtue of short-cage derailleurs. The downside would be that the small spider would make replacement chainrings hard to find. --Lennard

That's a nice looking crank. I bet the price reflects that too!

I see that Zinn says "short-cage derailleurs" but with the bigger difference between the chainrings I wonder if you really can get away with a shortcage derailleur in the back. It might depend on what cassette was used. My guess is a medium cage would be needed. There's a simple formula to figure that out, although I don't remember it offhand.

mises

by mises

According to the manual you would probably need a medium cage, but with 50/34 and 11-25 I am exceeding the stated chain wrap capacity of my Record short cage by 3 or 4 teeth and haven't noticed any difference from a standard setup. In the 34x12 or 13 it could be a problem but by then I have generally gone back to the big ring anyway.

cadence90

by cadence90

So far, what seems to be coming out of this discussion is:

FSA "Carbon Pro Elite Compact"; 110mm BCD; 50/34; 521g; Shimano Octalink or ISIS; +/- US$330.00
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/

Gass Project "Piper"; 110mm BCD; crank arms only (can mount TA "Syrius" 50/34 or 50/36; 375g; Campagnolo square or Shimano Octalink: ($$$ ?)
http://www.pbcomp.it/

PoshBikes tune "Bigfoot" + TA "Syrius" 50/34 or 50/36+ new tune "Sixpack" ti/ceramic BB; 110mm BCD; 50/34 or 50/36; 360g crankarms/120g BB = 480g + rings, hardware; tune hex (?); +/- US$ 787.00
http://www.poshbikes.com/index01.html (not listed on the site yet, though)
ImageImageImageImage

Pinarello "Compact Full Carbon"; 110mm BCD; 53, 52, 50, 48 / 39, 38, 36, 34 (wow, range!); 560g grams without ti BB, 740g with ti BB; Campagnolo and Shimano; ($$$ ?)
http://www.pinarello.com/main.php?surf=groups&path=accessories&lang=e
ImageImage

other crank arms paired with Boone ti chainrings; 110mm BCD; 54, 52, 50 / 40, 38, 36, 34; US$ 266.00, chainrings only
http://www.booneti.com/cr/crsizes.html

any further comments/suggestions welcome.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

FRM also make one, and you can change the spider, to a 130mm PCD if you wanted to.
Attachments
zCU2-R110-isis.jpg
Ride lightly!

danielgillett

by danielgillett

I think the Bianchi Crankset is one of the coolest additions to your bike

Available in Black Carbon Fibres, or White Carbon Fibres, and a wide variety of chainring sizes. The gold chainrings look very trick.

Dan

cadence90

by cadence90

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:FRM also make one, and you can change the spider, to a 130mm PCD if you wanted to.

Good option, and good products. I'll list this one too.
I wish I could find relative stiffness; q-factor; etc. and make a real comparison chart for all these...

danielgillett wrote:I think the Bianchi Crankset is one of the coolest additions to your bike.
Available in Black Carbon Fibres, or White Carbon Fibres, and a wide variety of chainring sizes. The gold chainrings look very trick.
Dan

Looks aside, is this available in compact, or just standard? What's the weight, etc.?

Superlite

by Superlite

No its not, someone wasn't paying attention.

Hey Dan, Is T-moble still riding those Giant guised Pinarello's? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

Superlite wrote:No its not, someone wasn't paying attention.

Hey Dan, Is T-moble still riding those Giant guised Pinarello's? :wink:

Didn't think so....DQ'd!!!! :wink:
Trick looks don't overcome incorrect type.... :P