PRO Tharsis XC stem to hide Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Hi there,

I've been looking at how I might be able to hide my Di2 junction box on my planned build.

I have seen the 3T Integra Team stem, but this appears to be only available in 110mm size and I would like 100mm. Otherwise it's probably the best thing out there.

Shimano have released the Tharsis XC team to integrate with XTR Di2, but I can't work out how it works. They show it as having an 'open' interface with the fork steerer so that you can put a battery in the fork steerer.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/pro-tharsis-xc-components-for-xtr-di2-launched-42202/

However, I cannot find any photos of the underside with holes for wires to enter so

a) it looks like you have to take the 2 shifter wires in through the back of the bars
and
b) I have no idea where the wire to the junction box would subsequently come out. The steerer is enclosed (and has to turn).

Can anyone shed any light on this so I can at least rule it out of my thinking and just go and design one of my own!

Thanks,
Allen

toiyuet

by toiyuet

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/05/31/shi ... -seatpost/

A removeable top cap lets you access the battery and/or Junction A for charging.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toiyuet

by toiyuet

The Tharsis XC Handlebars and Tharsis XC Stem are where most of the new integration is found. The handlebar has specific cutouts for internally routing Di2 E-Tube wires. The stem takes integration a step further and uses a new headset compression system that incorporates an expander into the stem to snug up the headset, eliminating the need for a starnut in the steer tube. That frees up space for an E-Tube internal battery placed inside of the steerer tube.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/ ... qEPcaEf.99

cajer

by cajer

I am using a bontrager xxx aero drop bar on a cervelo s5 and stuck a b junction box into the bars. (Requires a bit of sanding of the junction box). And just running 1 wire into my frame. There I stuck the battery and a junction into the seat post. I believe this is as clean of a Di2 setup you can get short of the new look 795

allenhuish

by allenhuish

toiyuet wrote:The Tharsis XC Handlebars and Tharsis XC Stem are where most of the new integration is found. The handlebar has specific cutouts for internally routing Di2 E-Tube wires. The stem takes integration a step further and uses a new headset compression system that incorporates an expander into the stem to snug up the headset, eliminating the need for a starnut in the steer tube. That frees up space for an E-Tube internal battery placed inside of the steerer tube.

Thanks for your reply, but where does the third wire come out?

allenhuish

by allenhuish

cajer wrote:I am using a bontrager xxx aero drop bar on a cervelo s5 and stuck a b junction box into the bars. (Requires a bit of sanding of the junction box). And just running 1 wire into my frame. There I stuck the battery and a junction into the seat post. I believe this is as clean of a Di2 setup you can get short of the new look 795

I saw the pics. Nice job!

I may end up going that way.

toiyuet

by toiyuet

allenhuish wrote:
toiyuet wrote:The Tharsis XC Handlebars and Tharsis XC Stem are where most of the new integration is found. The handlebar has specific cutouts for internally routing Di2 E-Tube wires. The stem takes integration a step further and uses a new headset compression system that incorporates an expander into the stem to snug up the headset, eliminating the need for a starnut in the steer tube. That frees up space for an E-Tube internal battery placed inside of the steerer tube.

Thanks for your reply, but where does the third wire come out?

May be like this Fair Wheel bike photo(it's 7970 system)?

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Of course! I feel a bit daft now. Thanks for solving. Won't work on a road bike so I need to think something else up.

nigel379

by nigel379

I was wondering the same, but it looks from the pictures you could cut a small notch in the top cap/cover and have it come out just above the pinch bolt. Would look very clean.

muntos

by muntos

Any news on this topic ? I'm looking a way to hide my DI2 box and it seems there still aren't so many options...
Does 3T Integra Team steam in the end allows you or not to put the DI2 box inside the stem ? Initially it seemed so but now I don't see any evidence of so, not even on their site nothing about this is mentioned...
Other options ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

muntos wrote:Any news on this topic ? I'm looking a way to hide my DI2 box and it seems there still aren't so many options...
Does 3T Integra Team steam in the end allows you or not to put the DI2 box inside the stem ? Initially it seemed so but now I don't see any evidence of so, not even on their site nothing about this is mentioned...
Other options ?

i got an email from 3t a few months ago saying that it does let you hide the box in the stem (only the team version).

Pretty sure the cable comes out the back of the Tharsis stem/steerer just under the top cap then runs down to the BB area...i'll try to attach a pic. A mate has the tharsis stem and Enve SES Aero bars. He drilled a hole in the back of the clamp section of his bars so the cable runs directly from the bars into the stem so you don't see them exiting the bars at all as opposed to the cable exiting the bars at the usual opening and then running (briefly) exteriorly before entering the front of the stem...if that makes sense.

The Syncros bar/stem combo that come on the 2016 Scott Foils hides the junction box in the stem.
The BLK-tec R5 bar/stem combo does the same.
I wish more manufactrers would offer alternatives to the tharsis (wide clamp wont work for all bars) and Integra (weighs a tone and only 110mm and -10 degrees). i cant figure out why they offer it for MTB but not roadies. surely Di2 is more popular on Roadies...where aerodynamics is king!.
Attachments
IMG_1433.jpg