2014 SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod ride quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merkyworks

by merkyworks

My current bike is a 2009 Scott Addict HMX frame (1st gen Addict frame) in a 52cm. I love the way it rides but I don't do crit races anymore and as I have gotten older the ride can be a little rough at times. I have an opportunity to pick up a 2014 SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod for a really good deal but I'm afraid the ride is going to be just as rough as my current Addict so I wont really be gaining anything from the bike swap.

Has anyone here ridden an Addict and a SuperSix or can anyone give any insights the ride quality of the SuperSix?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I have both and the Hi mod is my 75% of the time go to bike. I still like the Scott when the group gets together and I want to go all out and feel like I am still 25. I keep the Scott set up differently for such days? You should love your new EVO, I have had 2 of them now.

This past year I have ridden 4000 miles on the EVO with a couple of double centuries and centuries in there, if that tells you how I like the ride. I would never ride my Scott on those rides now.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

merkyworks

by merkyworks

I think I'm in a similar boat as you then, when I was 26 I never thought the Addict overly harsh riding or uncomfortable with the stem slammed all the way. Now at 32 I base my ride routes on how smooth the road will be cause rough roads beat me up.

RussellS

by RussellS

merkyworks wrote:My current bike is a 2009 Scott Addict HMX frame (1st gen Addict frame) in a 52cm. I love the way it rides but I don't do crit races anymore and as I have gotten older the ride can be a little rough at times. I have an opportunity to pick up a 2014 SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod for a really good deal

I'm going to state the obvious.
1. Put wider tires on the bike. Start with 28mm. If for some weird reason you cannot get them to clear everything, then try 25mm. But start with 28mm tires.
2. Don't over inflate your tires. Inflate to 100 psi maximum. Try 90 or 95 psi also. Never more than 100 psi.

As for buying the Cannondale. Sure, buy it. Better to have two nice race bikes than one.

Starter

by Starter

The Supersix Evo is a different beast than the Scott. It's a lot smoother... One of the creamiest rides I've had, even with deeper carbon wheelsets. Bear in mind, I've only put around 500 miles on mine but I keep thinking back to something I read in a review before I purchased it... The reviewer talked about how riding the Evo on inconsistent roads was a weird experience at first, because the little bumps and ruts he'd usually instinctively tense up for didn't actually resolve into impacts that required tensing up for... And so he became very aware of just how often he was tensing for impacts on other bikes. For me, that reviewer's story has been completely accurate. It's amazing how much more comfortable and relaxed I am on the Evo, even with it's relatively aggressive geometry. I get on other bikes, even my Look 675 (which has far more relaxed geometry), and when I'm riding bad roads I'm very aware of feeling like a ball of rigid muscle, tensing for every impact. The Evo is like a Yoga bike, ha ha... You're putting power down, but you're not cramping up.

Also, for what it's worth... As far as tires go, I've found 28s to be overkill on anything but the harshest roads out here in Southern California, regardless of what bike they are on. 25s seem to be best mix of ride quality and speed for me, and I think for most people in this area. There are definitely people who like 28s, but if you live in a similar climate, I'd check out some 25s first and see if they work for you. I will say that 28s are a good choice for winter weather, if you're in an area where mud/snow/rain/sleet etc. are a thing...
Oof.

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

I love the ride of my evo personally - i run very stiff, deep carbon rims at obscenely high (120psi+) tire pressures and still don't fit it to be uncomfortable on rougher pavement.
Drop the pressure to a more reasonable 105psi and it's downright comfortable on everything except freshly torn-up, needs-to-be-paved roads.

Ride is quite awesome, and plenty stiff for me as well...

Only criticism would be that it is an aggressive-fitting bike, while this has nothing to do with ride quality, make sure it will work for you!

superdx

by superdx

It's hard to find a frame that is both aggressive and geometry and has dampening features, but the Evo is one such frame. I have done 5 Strava 130km rides on my Evo and while it was tiring, I never felt wrecked. My friends with me on a Specialized Tarmac and Venge were both complaining of various pains the day after, for me it was just sore muscles. For certain, the Evo is not a harsh ride at all.

Antoine

by Antoine

+1

I find my Evo as comfortable as my Lynskey Ti .

the ride quality of the Evo (HM or not) is probably superior compared with others high end frames

Cuki

by Cuki

No complaints from this SuperSix Evo Black Inc. owner too. I very often ride 400 to 700km a week and I'm always good to go the next day.

KWalker

by KWalker

Best frame I've ridden, which is why I've owned many of them. HM and non-HM never seemed to make a difference to me.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

merkyworks

by merkyworks

This is all great to hear and it looks like I will be a SuperSix owner very soon :)

sharkman

by sharkman

Having owned both I don't think you'll get much more out of an evo (besides that the addict is overall a bit better build). Both are ment for racing and comfort wise the Evo might be a bit better but puttin lower rims with 25 tyres (if clearance allows it) will put the addict on par with an evo with higher rims (which is overall not strange since both framesets have the same designer).
If more comfort is your corcern a softer ride in combination with a longer headtube could be a more viable reason for buying something new.

ukracer

by ukracer

I have a 2011 Scott Addict and struggle with rubbing when tried 25mm tires

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

just make sure you are ok with the short headtube on evo. I like the look of slammed stem but evo's headtube kills my back TT

Vicelord

by Vicelord

I am astounded by the ride on my evo. I've previously had a bmc and a madone 6, and loved them both, but the evo is more, uh, buttery smooth(?) than the other two were. Some roads near my home where I have made a point to ride certain lines due to potholes, cracks, and manhole covers, I realized that I don't need to ride those lines anymore to avoid bumps. The evo makes them seem pretty mellow in comparison.

The evo does have a short head tube comparatively, but it doesn't ride harshly like, say, a tarmac, which also has a short head tube. I was hit by a truck back in July and suffered a broken back and neck among other things, and I was a bit concerned with the head tube of the evo, but after a few rides I was so comfortable I was able to put the stem on the head tube like I am used to. The bike is just that comfortable. For what it's worth, I have been on a tarmac since my accident as well, and ten minutes on that thing and my back is begging me to get off the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com