Cycling Computer Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Norregard

by Norregard

Hello everyone,

I've been looking around to replace my completely outdated Trek Incite wired cycling computer.

I've searched the forums and there are some topics about cycling computers but most of them are a bit dated or Garmin oriented. As appealing as the Garmin options look, I'm not really looking for GPS navigation on the go, and I always have my smartphone on me when riding so I mainly use Endomondo/Strava to track and archive my rides.

So I'm mainly looking for quite basic information on the go. I'm looking for the following features:
- Basic info (speed, avg, ride distance, overall distance, etc)
- Cadence sensor
- HR monitor
- Out front mounted (because I don't like the look of a cycling computer mounted on the stem)

I've come across the Cateye Strada Digital Wireless which basically does all of that for 120 EUR (150$/95£).

I've never owned anything by Cateye before. Does anyone have any experience with this device or Cateye in general? Is it reliable? Or are there better alternatives on the market that do what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for any experiences or advice you could share!

spectracycles

by spectracycles

Cateye cyclo computers are very reliable, i have the Strada digital wireless and the Strada slim and have no complaints whatsoever. They are simple to operate and maintain and matches well with the Barfly Cateye mount which places it out front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Cateye computers are simple and dependable. I have a Strada Slim, also on a Barfly mount, no complaints.

I saw that there's a new Strada Smart with bluetooth 4.0 that can be paired to speed/cadence sensors, HRM, or to a smartphone for some other functions.

ITTY

by ITTY

I recommend a garmin (I've got a 500). You will get all of the ride information you're looking for, and support for power, and then you won't have to drain your phone's battery to get GPS data.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Vicelord

by Vicelord

you mean there's actually a market for non-garmin cycling computers?

if you want to save money (I assume that's what you really mean by not needing gps on the fly) then find a used 500.

eric

by eric

The Garmin 500 gps nav is useless anyhow.

The great thing about the 500 is the five totally configureable screens. You can have the data you want where you want it.
It's GPS is more accurate than most phones and its barometric elevation gain is much more accurate than pure GPS based elevation in most phones.

lechat

by lechat

If your looking at the Strada, check into the Sigma wireless options. Easier to read screen and easier to navigate. Only downside is 2 different sensors for speed/cadence.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Unless cost is your number one priority, I'd just go with a Garmin 500. While it doesn't give you navigation, it can record where you went, which is kind of nice to see at a glance on a map if you upload your data anywhere. Garmin Connect is a good place to just store your data, and it's free.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Qman

by Qman

The Cateye's I've owned in the past have been very good.

Another one to consider is the Bontrager Node 1.1 and 2.1. Covers the basics and an out-front mount is available. These ones are also ANT+, if that's important to you. I find the screen to be too dominated by the speed, leaving the other text too small. Otherwise they work well.

I've also used VDO. They make great high-quality products and I think the screens are better than the Node. Unfortunately I don't think there are any out-front mounts for VDOs.

BELied

by BELied

I use a Joule 2.0. It's a non-gps device and works with ANT+ signals, so a wahoo wireless speed and cadence sensor and a ANT+ HR monitor. Also has a built in altimeter so it can track percent grade, altitude gain/loss. Best part is if you decide to upgrade with a powermeter down the road, it can connect right in wirelessly. can be found very cheap on ebay.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-c ... gp0199.jpg
2014 Giant Defy (too many kilos) (seriously, it's an aluminium frame)

Norregard

by Norregard

Hello everyone,

never got round to following up on this, but I held off my decision for a bit, and in the end Santa brought me a Garmin 810!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Rick

by Rick

I've owned lots of Cateyes, and always been very happy with them.
But I think the Garmin Edge 500 is the way to go these days.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I 've a cateye stealth, it's cheap, relatively good functionity, but pretty clunky (eg you have to.remove it from the housing to turn it on, and the computer interface is like from something from the 1990s. . Good, but not great.

kenmical

by kenmical

If Garmin is the choice then no point going for 00 series (i.e. 500/ 800) as they are the older generations. There is nothing wrong with this series as I am on 800 and still working very well for me after 12month. You can consider the newer 10 series (i.e. 510/ 810). I will leave the 1000 as it is as big as a smartphone so isn't mounting the smartphone better with entertainment, mapping, FB etc :P

The newer series is able to integrate Di2 gear indicator or shifting with firmware update plus purchase additional accessories. More option to better integrate future upgrades.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

kenmical wrote:If Garmin is the choice then no point going for 00 series

That is nonsense. The 00 series (especially the 500) is great for a (relatively) low cost unit. Smart phone integration is a gimmick, and the screens are large enough so you can see the data you need to.

If you MUST avoid a garmin, I'd look into Magellan/Mio. They're decent units at a lower price. Quality is good, but the (current) software is terrible - elevation data only refreshes every 20 seconds, HR data is not stored correctly - you cannot access HR data outside of Magellan's software.

If you're not interested in power, Polar is a great option. You can use an out-front adaptor if you must mount it out front. The polar units have a much better design IMO (their anti glare screens are actually anti-glare, unlike garmin and magellan) however they only support their WIND protocol, which is a huge loss IMO (no 3rd party sensors).
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com