Cycling Computer Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kenmical

by kenmical

istigatrice wrote:
kenmical wrote:If Garmin is the choice then no point going for 00 series

That is nonsense. The 00 series (especially the 500) is great for a (relatively) low cost unit. Smart phone integration is a gimmick, and the screens are large enough so you can see the data you need to.

If you MUST avoid a garmin, I'd look into Magellan/Mio. They're decent units at a lower price. Quality is good, but the (current) software is terrible - elevation data only refreshes every 20 seconds, HR data is not stored correctly - you cannot access HR data outside of Magellan's software.

If you're not interested in power, Polar is a great option. You can use an out-front adaptor if you must mount it out front. The polar units have a much better design IMO (their anti glare screens are actually anti-glare, unlike garmin and magellan) however they only support their WIND protocol, which is a huge loss IMO (no 3rd party sensors).

What sort of rubbish is rubbish? :)

Since the 510 is out why go for a phased out model? Complication in repair and servicing. Especially for Garmins who is not known for good aftersales support. It is just a suggestion as I am still using my sturdy 800 (look not 810) purchased a year ago.

Smartphone integration is not a gimmick. It is a reality. What one need to consider is if he/she will move into electronic shifting. If yes, why not go for the latest Garmin series where there is capabilities of reading gears one is on as well as controlling the shift, knowing batt life for shifters etc?

I think these are logical consideration. Nothing rubbish here. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I doubt Garmin will phase out the 500, the 510 doesn't really replace the 500 as it's larger and bulkier. If you want a minimalistic computer the 500 is still the way to go. If they do phase out the 500, I believe they'll lose sales (in the band the 500 sat) as the 200 is too basic, and the 510 is too expensive. The 510 is a much more upmarket computer than the 500.

Oh, on the note of the 510: Why would you want smart phone integration? What would you do with it? Also, you can work out the battery life for the shifters though the junction box thing. You shouldn't need to "read" what gear you're in, if you do you should still be riding Tiagra/Sora and have no need for Di2

The only computer which I would consider as an alternative to the 500 is the Polar CS600. Polar's software is great, but it's a different unit. No GPS, no strava and of course no cheap powermeters. It's really for those who know how to analyse heart rate, and don't want a complicated unit. One thing I miss about using these units is that you can turn them on and go, no waiting for a GPS signal, oh and how could I forget, you don't get any glare off the curved screen. Garmin/etc. may say their screen is anti-glare but that's a load of horsesh*t

Cateye? I've used older models (strada), they're great and simple, but you can't download and analyse your data, a huge minus for me.

That's my 2c worth, hope it's helpful
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

kenmical

by kenmical

"Oh, on the note of the 510: Why would you want smart phone integration? What would you do with it? Also, you can work out the battery life for the shifters though the junction box thing. You shouldn't need to "read" what gear you're in, if you do you should still be riding Tiagra/Sora and have no need for Di2"

Well, when one is full of dough then why not? Just like does one really need a RCA vs R3 or R5 even if one is a fat man doing leisure ride around his house? :P

Being a weight weenie forum, just use our smartphone will do since we carry it for rides anyway.

Rick

by Rick

It would be a huge mistake by Garmin to phase out the 500 if they think the 510 would replace it. It won't happen that way. :)

istigatrice

by istigatrice

kenmical wrote:Well, when one is full of dough then why not? Just like does one really need a RCA vs R3 or R5 even if one is a fat man doing leisure ride around his house? :P

Being a weight weenie forum, just use our smartphone will do since we carry it for rides anyway.

I think you'll find the average user is a bit more than someone doing a leisure ride around the house... I know we've got a few NRS guys on the forum, you'll do well to beat them up a hill. The cervelo RCA etc. gives you marginal gains which could be the difference between winning and losing. The 510 offers no training or racing benefit over the 500. If you've got the disposable income go for it, but the OP clearly wants something more budget orientated.

On the note of the smartphone, it's much too bulky to be used as a cycle computer, you're welcome to try it though :wink:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Vicelord

by Vicelord

In regards to phone integration, the first time you use auto upload you'll never use a machine without phone integration again.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

I have had CatEye strada wireless for over 6 years. They don't seem to last past 3 to 4 years. All of mine have some sort of odd issue now. Before that, they have been pretty reliable. Yes, I have changed the batteries LOL

My Garmin Forerunners have been a bit more reliable long term. Of course the 200 series have the battery issue. The 3-series are decent.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

Jmdesignz2 wrote:I have had CatEye strada wireless for over 6 years. They don't seem to last past 3 to 4 years. All of mine have some sort of odd issue now. Before that, they have been pretty reliable. Yes, I have changed the batteries LOL

My Garmin Forerunners have been a bit more reliable long term. Of course the 200 series have the battery issue. The 3-series are decent.

Anything electronic lasting 3 to 4 years is pretty reliable in my book.

photocycler

by photocycler

Wondering, How is the Garmin Edge Touring Plus? I hear its basically the same as a 810 without the training features. I do not use the training features but more interested in maps, but want a solid device.

Marin

by Marin

Anyone have experience with computers that just mirror smartphone data? O-synce, Wahoo, Cateye?

RustySpokes

by RustySpokes

I have a Cateye Strada slim.. it serves me well. I like it works well easy to read no issues.

If your techy and need lots of data stuff. Then go with the Garmin.
It never gets easier, you just go faster.