Why does my bike weigh more than it's supposed to?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vicelord

by Vicelord

elSid wrote:
Vicelord wrote:but the "12.xx" would indicated [sic] that some uncertainty...

But sure, you can interpret my English skills however you see fit.

Will do.

My keyboard autocorrected several words in my reply, which I promptly repaired.

Nitpicking my post only shows that you are being defensive, likely because you know that you are wrong.

elSid

by elSid

Wrong about what, exactly?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vicelord

by Vicelord

I am not going to enter into a pedantic argument with you, rather I will just remind you that I did not say the bike was a gift.

That was your poor comprehension.

Qman

by Qman

Back to the original question....

If I add up all the weights of the listed components, and include 150g for a standard cable set, I get 6140g or 13.6 lbs. A couple of the numbers were estimated, but it should be very close. If we add a computer, mount, water bottle cages, seat pack, or whatever else may or may not have been on the bike when it was weighed then it would come close to 14 lbs.

So, the weight seems to be roughly correct, and should not be anywhere near 12 lbs.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

it was weighed out of the box + pedals. No mounts, gps, computer, etc. Also, I would never use a seat pack!

Thanks for adding all of that up, interesting that you came to 13.6 which is fairly close to where I would be without pedals. I think they weigh 140g.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

well a set of Enve 1.25 tubs with decent lightweight hubs is probably around 1100g or less... Enve 3.4 clinchers with R45's.. you are approaching 1500g.. so you have nearly 1pound right there
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Starter

by Starter

Vicelord wrote:I'm not asking anyone to weight-spec or add up anything.

Someone asked for the "build list" so I posted it... I guess I won't answer any other questions.

No need to be defensive, bro... Just trying to put you on the right track. :D

Answer all the questions you want, or don't... Never mind me. But in the end, nobody can Weight Weenie your bike other than you. Like I said, WW bikes aren't bought, they're earned. It sounds like maybe you're into owning a 12xx pound bike, but not necessarily the borderline-obsessive attention to detail that it requires? That's cool, but if that's the case, WW probably isn't your best option, because we can't do it for you, just offer you advice on how to be borderline-obsessive to detail, ha ha... And it sounds like that's kind of aggravating you. Hey, I get it, listening to some weirdo talk about 40g here and 70g there can be aggravating.

If money isn't an object, you can ship it to Fairwheel Bikes and have them do a project bike for you... Probably get somewhere in the 10-11 pound range, and you won't have to lift a finger. It will be a really light bike, but not really a WW bike, insomuch as you'll have skipped the part many people here enjoy the most... But there's nothing wrong with going that route. Probably just means you're less weird than the average poster here. Best of luck!
Oof.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

I guess didn't realize "WW" was a thing. Or is it not a thing and you're trying to make it one?

Either way, I'm not trying to be defensive, just was answering the questions and suggestions given to me as I was able to. And I don't want to go through all the work to build a bike, I just wanted the nicest bike I could afford, which I think I got... just expected it to be about 1.5lb lighter based on cannondale brand reps statements. Oh well. I'll just go back to enjoying riding and racing my bike.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

anytime I've seen weight specs attached to the Evo Black... it's always been with tubulars to get in the 12 pound range... you won't be there with those clinchers.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Qman

by Qman

I just realized that I didn't include the quick release in the weight. It wasn't on the list so I don't know what you have. Add approx 100g to the total. That puts the estimate at 13.8 lbs.

As previously stated, if you throw on some light tubulars you can easily cut down wheel weight by 400g and tire weight by 200g. That's 1.3 lbs and would drop your bike to 12.5 lbs, which is around the original weight that you heard. If you make any changes then this is the one that will have the biggest impact on the bike performance and feel.

russianbear

by russianbear

Vicelord wrote:I guess didn't realize "WW" was a thing. Or is it not a thing and you're trying to make it one?

Check what web forum you're on...

Marin

by Marin

To the OP, the point is that you shouldn't have had to ask any questions, you obviously have access to the internet, the weights are out there, just find them and add them up, it's what 99,5% of the people (the Weight Weenies...) on this forum do.

The question "what can I do to make my bike lighter" is a much more rewarding and difficult question than "why does my bike weigh what it does". The answer is to the 2nd question - to WWs - is obvious: Because of the sum of its parts.

The really sad part (and the one I hope isn't true) is the price tag. If you plan carefully, you can probably build TWO 12 pound bikes for 12k.

Starter

by Starter

Vicelord wrote:I guess didn't realize "WW" was a thing. Or is it not a thing and you're trying to make it one?

Either way, I'm not trying to be defensive, just was answering the questions and suggestions given to me as I was able to. And I don't want to go through all the work to build a bike, I just wanted the nicest bike I could afford, which I think I got... just expected it to be about 1.5lb lighter based on cannondale brand reps statements. Oh well. I'll just go back to enjoying riding and racing my bike.

Again, best of luck! (Maybe skip the crits with that particular bike)
Oof.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

standard cable set is more like 250g not 150g.

Marin

by Marin

I thought that too, because of the weights Fairwheel had put in the database, but the cabling on my FM066 came to 160grams with cables crossed in front of the steerer (changed and shortened in the meantime).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com