Why does my bike weigh more than it's supposed to?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Martin1977

by Martin1977

As mentioned above, it seems that You did not check weights of individual components well. I bulit my bike myself. I checked weight of every single component before I bought it and the final weight is exactly where I planed it. Of course, there are minor deviations in weights, but I tried to be a little pesimistic when I planed my build and I always counted few gramms more, based on information of other people owning the same parts.

Just make complete buildlist and calculate weights of individual components. You will exactly see, where is the "problem".

Maybe the problem is, that you trust companies with their weight. If I was not sure about the weight, I just went to the shop and asked them to throw it on the scales to see "real" weight and not what is adwertised.
Last edited by Martin1977 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Frame size at this tier will make 100g difference -max- between S and L, so it's definitely not the size.

12 lbs is really really light, but on the other hand would easily be achievable in a 10k+ build - with the usual compromises in functionality though.

Is this a stock or a custom build? Who promised you the weight? Who specced the components? How much do you know about bikes?

Marin

by Marin

BTW, people here will be able help you quickly if you post a good pic of the bike plus a build list, at least for the parts that aren't obvious in the pic.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

I don't have a scale, and more importantly I don't have the know how or tools to take it apart.

here's the "bulid list" that was asked for.

Frame:
SuperSix EVO, BallisTec NANO Carbon, SPEED SAVE, PressFit BB30

Fork:
SuperSix EVO, Speed SAVE, BallisTec NANO Carbon, 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" steerer

Crank:
Cannondale HollowGram SiSL2, BB30, w/ OPI SpideRing, 53/39 (Compact 50/34 Included)

Bottom Bracket:
Cannondale Alloy PressFit30

Shifters:
Shimano Dura Ace 9000

Cog Set:
Shimano Dura Ace 9000, 11-28, 11-speed

Chain:
Shimano HG900, 11-speed

Front Derailleur:
Shimano Dura Ace 9000, braze-on

Rear Derailleur:
Shimano Dura Ace 9000

Rims:
Enve Smart 3.4 Clincher, 20h front, 24h rear

Hubs:
Chris King R45, 20h front, 24h rear

Tires:
Schwalbe ONE, 700x25c, folding

Pedals:
Speedplay Zero Titanium

Brakes:
Shimano Dura Ace 9000

Handlebar:
Enve Carbon Road Compact, 31.8mm

Stem:
Enve Carbon Road, 31.8, 6 deg.

Headset:
SuperSix EVO, 1-1/4" lower bearing, 25mm carbon top cap, 5mm hidden top cap

Brake Levers:
Shimano Dura Ace 9000

Spokes:
DT Swiss Aerolite

Grips:
Fabric ALM Buffalo Leather Bar Tape

Saddle:
Fabric ALM Carbon, Buffalo Leather

Seat Post:
Enve Carbon Road 27.2x350mm

Extras:
both standard 53/39 and compact 50/34 SpideRing chainring sets

russianbear

by russianbear

Edit: i see you posted it
Last edited by russianbear on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starter

by Starter

Not trying to be rude, but I'm confused as to why you're asking us to weight-spec and add up the parts list? All those weights are available online via a Google search. Remember, you're looking for authenticated or "real" weights, not manufacturer published weights. Seems like you know what to do... Now you just have to do it. Remember, a true weight weenie bike isn't just bought, it's earned. :D

A little tip that's helped me: check out image results from your searches as well. Sometimes you'll find a scale pic of a component. Also, remember you have to spec everything... For instance I notice you didn't include wheel skewers. Those generally run around 150g a set. That's more than a third of a pound right there.

I'm eager to hear what you discover... As I posted a bit ago, I'm betting you'll see most of your weight loss in simple/cheap/free fixes, like tossing out the bar expander plugs, swapping in some light bar tape, cutting down your post, etc. etc.
Oof.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

I'm not asking anyone to weight-spec or add up anything.

Someone asked for the "build list" so I posted it... I guess I won't answer any other questions.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

elSid wrote:but was this a gift, or did you spend $12k on it? (You state both)

Show me where I said it was a gift.

:noidea:

russianbear

by russianbear

Reasons why it would weigh more: they lied, weight didn't include bottle cages, computer and whatever else is on the bike after weighing it, the scale wasn't accurate, the steer tube is not cut down etc. It's pretty common in the cycling industry to claim weights that are no where near what they actually are. Unless you see it on the scale, I wouldn't trust any claimed weight.

Are you really that upset over a pound or so? Several people pointed out easy fixes to drop quite a few grams already.

tpkruse

by tpkruse

Not to be thick, but the answer to your question is that, obviously, the weight you saw quoted wasn't correct. Nothing more and nothing less. As has been mentioned, Cannondale doesn't quote weights, and I haven't seen any promises on the build weight anywhere in their official communications.

If you want people to recommend ways to loose weight, ask that question.

A few easy ones have been mentioned. But there are many more obvious ones; first of all switch to lighter tubulars. Could also swap to RED.

IMO, outside of the clincher wheels, every component on that build that has a weight compromise (outside of maybe the compression plug) trades weight for significant performance improvements. The Black Inc bikes aren't really meant to be super light, but are meant to be a true top of the line offering from top to bottom.

elSid

by elSid

"
Vicelord wrote:
elSid wrote:but was this a gift, or did you spend $12k on it? (You state both)

Show me where I said it was a gift.

:noidea:

"I recently bought a bike and the advertised weight is 12.xx (I don't remember exactly, given to me by someone)"

Ok, I think I see what you mean, that the "advertised weight" was given to you. But then why are you upset if you can't remember what the weight is 'supposed' to be?
Last edited by elSid on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anders3404

by Anders3404

Cannondale actualy has a claimed weight list http://bmv-cykler.dk/wp-content/uploads ... eights.pdf

Anders3404

by Anders3404

And after reading it states that the weight is for a 51 cm for a road bike

Vicelord

by Vicelord

Maybe English isn't your first language, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one, but the "12.xx" would indicate that I had some uncertainty, which then was followed by "I don't remember exactly" and further verifies the uncertainty on the weight. Then, in the same sentence, is clarification that the weight was "given to me by someone".

But sure, you can interpret the sentence in some very different way if you choose.
Last edited by Vicelord on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elSid

by elSid

Vicelord wrote:but the "12.xx" would indicated [sic] that some uncertainty...

But sure, you can interpret my English skills however you see fit.

Will do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com