Why does my bike weigh more than it's supposed to?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vicelord

by Vicelord

I recently bought a bike and the advertised weight is 12.xx (I don't remember exactly, given to me by someone) pounds, and when we built it up and weighed it, it was 14.01lb.

Something must be wrong, maybe some water found its way into the frame or something, because I know my pedals do not weigh over a pound.

Any ideas on what might be wrong with my bike? I spent 12K on a bike so it could be under 13 pounds with pedals and I want to return it but I can't.

Why would it weigh so much more than they said it would?

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

It might help to state what bike and components you have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vicelord

by Vicelord

ok.

it's a 2015 Cannondale Evo Black Inc. Dura Ace 9000, SiSl2 crank, Fabric ALM saddle, and everything else is Enve.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

well that narrows it down then.

Permon

by Permon

Is one pound difference so important for you? What about the ride?
My bike is 6,9kg. The previous one was 6,4kg...I dont care about the 0,5kg (1pound) at all
The ride is everything.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Well, the advertised weights are often for small to medium sized bikes, so if you are riding a larger frame then you will need to add in the extra weight for that as well as longer cranks, wider bars, etc. That plus your pedals might put you within range of where your actual weight is.

odin99

by odin99

is this a real post?

this is ww. you tell us why your bike is heavier than it should be. break that sh** down and weight it piece by piece.

Krackor

by Krackor

Who told you it would be 12.xx pounds? Cannondale doesn't advertise weights on their website, and most bike companies won't publicly commit to a specific weight for the whole bike.

russianbear

by russianbear

Sounds like you didn't plan your build well.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

it's a 54, so any weights measured are likely on a larger frame, 56 is usual.

And even Cannondale's dealer launch event, which there is a video of on Vimeo, the guy claims "just a bit over 12lbs". I was told the number I was told by a reputable source... er... I thought it was a reputable source.

When someone says 12.5 (just for argument's sake), I figure maybe it will be 13, but not 14!

eric

by eric

Most bike companies publish weights of a small frame. Some more honest ones do their medium or 56cm. I'm not sure what Cannondale claims or what the guy in that video is claiming.

If I remember right the first year Evo Black was claimed to be 12.something. But it had Red, which is lighter than 9000. And low profile tubular rims. I see from the pic on the other place that you're running deeper section rims, possibly clinchers. And you have a different seat. Those may make up a lot of the difference. I don't think that the frame weight has changed, or the weight of the Enve components.

The only way to know for sure is to weigh all the parts.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ this... spot on
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Starter

by Starter

After going over the specs on the Black Inc. I don't see how that could be a 12 pound bike...

Theres a few quick fixes you can do to shave some grams... Many new Evos are shipping with the 50 gram compression plugs instead of the 14g version they are supposed to... Also they come stock with these alloy compression-bolt handlebar end plugs that weigh 18g a pop. Swapping in the correct headset compression plug and some standard bar plugs should immediately cut 72g... Cut down the Enve post, it's a pig... Swap in some cheap eBay steel bolt-on skewers, which should save you around 70g over whatever's on there... I know the Fabric ALM Buffalo leather bar tape is sweet, but it's also 150g, which is insane. Some Deda wrap will save you 110g there...

Just those simple and cheap or free solutions I've listed above add up to around 290g, which drops you down to about 13.3Lbs...
Last edited by Starter on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oof.

lechat

by lechat

Very few off the rack bikes are going to be 12+ lbs, ready to ride. Even those costing 12k.
My Caad7 is 12.74lbs with alloy clinchers, but I had to do a bit of tweaking.

elSid

by elSid

Advertised weight and a guy in a video saying something are not the same thing.

Also, not that it really matters in terms of weight , but was this a gift, or did you spend $12k on it? (You state both)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com