Sram Red 22 tuning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Method01

by Method01

Since there is an (old) post about tuning a Red rear derailleur, I wanted to know what the options are with the Red 22. Didn't find any tuning kits yet.

So the standard weight is 143gr, what can be saved (and what will it cost)?

Standard weights:
Pulley set: 21-22gr
Pulley bolt set: 2gr
Inner derailleur cage: 7gr

- The cage can be reduced to 2,4gr with fybre-lyte (27,5 euro).
- I'm not intented to spend more than 60 euro on a pulley set and they must be solid (I already cracked a standard Red pulley..). Maybe the EXTRALITE Pulleys ExtraBolt 15.1 (http://r2-bike.com/EXTRALITE-Pulleys-ExtraBolt-151-11-Teeth-10g). Other options?

What else can be saved on the derailleur itself, is it worth to change every bolt?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

I have a photo of a Sram Red 22 WiFli (long cage) tuned derailleur by AFCBike. Tell me that they tuned it down from 162.2gram :shock: original version.
ImageP1010223 by buracillo, on Flickr
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Starter

by Starter

bura wrote:I have a photo of a Sram Red 22 WiFli (long cage) tuned derailleur by AFCBike. Tell me that they tuned it down from 162.2gram :shock: original version.
ImageP1010223 by buracillo, on Flickr
That Wifli mod is demented. So by that logic, a standard short cage somewhere in the neighborhood of 75g should be possible...
Oof.

theremery

by theremery

no....there is only a few grams difference in tuned weights for the wifli and std RED ( the equivalent of a cm's carbon or so at thin section).
Note re the AFC pulleys, Both weeracer weenie and I had issues with those pulleys that caused significant failures. I'd advise avoiding them. Extralite pulleys would be worth considering (as the OP is).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

bura

by bura

Like theremery I think that the weight difference between WiFli and std Red is mainly the cage which seems heavily tuned. Have asked AFC about this but no reply till now. I will post their opinion if I get one.
Theremery and WRW had warned about the pulleys and therefore I reglued the bearings of my pulleys which are holding up till now.
May be AFC had resolved this issue when I purchased them but I was cautious and reglued them with Scotch Weld. The bearings did not come out by hand and I had to push them with a small pin and a hammer.
AFC had informed me that they had some problems with bearings coming loose and they were reviewing the bond they were using.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

While the Extralite pulleys are super light, (my set is 10.4 grams) I don't think I'd consider them to be really solid as the bearing is very small. I think the lightest I'd consider solid would be the Kcnc Ultra, or Tripeak ceramic. Both are in the 14-16 gram range.

bura

by bura

AFC tells me that for a "rideable" Sram Red the edge of tuning is 90gr. Each gram less depends on how much you are going to spend as more and more parts are getting custom made then.
The guy at AFC informs me that the tuning is done privately by one of their technicians and they support him with tools and parts.Confirmed also that the difference between a tuned WiFli and a standart Red is not more than 2-3grs.
@madcow: Share your opinion about "solid" pulleys.Let's not forget that the Extralite as well as their AFC clones have two bearings in each pulley. But this is reason why the other AFC Speed 10 pulleys I have purchased and to be seen on the tuned Sram Red 22 are so light. They have only one of the tiny bearings of the Extralite pulleys and only weigh 5.8gr one pair.Though compared to their weight they are pretty stiff .
Hope that mine will not break down.
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Interesting about the pulleys. I tuned an older sram red RD w/ pulleys from ebay and I've been using them for the past 4 years or so with no issues at all. The seller had a username like "joechaiumi" or something like that. They've been outstanding.
Speedplay is the devil!

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Does anyone know about this. Simply amazing if you ask me.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... ddba30.jpg

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

What about the Fiberlyte pulleys?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

mdeth1313 wrote:Interesting about the pulleys. I tuned an older sram red RD w/ pulleys from ebay and I've been using them for the past 4 years or so with no issues at all. The seller had a username like "joechaiumi" or something like that. They've been outstanding.

I don't think he is selling anymore as I have him as a saved seller but nothing in his store now

Method01

by Method01

Does anyone have experience with the CARBONICE Hanni and Nanni (7.8gr and ceramic bearings)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com