Selling a bike--any experts on here?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Barters

by Barters

OK, I know the right number of bikes to own is n+1. In my household right now n=3 is what I have now & I don't see that increasing without a costly divorce.

So as I look to sell my 2 year old "good bike" in favour of another "good bike" I would appreciate is any advice on the best way to go about selling it to maximise value.

The bike is a 2012 model Scott CR1 SL (58cm) however I did not begin riding it in March 2013 & it has never been ridden in winter. It is in very good condition & has been serviced regularly (brand new Dura ace cables this summer, new DA chain, bar tape, tyres) .
Original suggested retail price £5,299. Spec can be found here: http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/produ ... sl-20-m54/

Can someone suggest best way to sell & likely depreciation?

Cheers!

fa63

by fa63

In my experience 50% of retail is a good place to start, but given that new Dura Ace with 11-speed has since come out and what not, you might have to go down to 40% or less. Good luck.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

One more post and you'll be able to sell it here :lol:

Louis :)

mattr

by mattr

Split it.
New tape, cables, chain will make very very very little difference to the sale price of a bike at that point in the market.

Especially as you've got a very small market. And it's an old frame design (4 or 5 years since they revamped the CR1?)
You're more likely to make a decent price if you accept some bits won't sell (bars, stem maybe) but you can get a better price on others (rear mech, chainset etc) when they aren't all lumped together.

Last bike I sold, I split. Ended up with some leftover bars and a pair of forks, which I hadn't really wanted to sell anyway. Selling my wife's old race bike (around £3.3k retail, 3 years old) pretty much brand new wheels, brakes, most of the drive train, immaculate condition. Ended up getting about 950 quid.

Next time, I'll stick all the bits I want to keep in a box, eBay the rest. The wife now has a similar opinion regarding selling bikes.

The high point was someone emailing to ask if it'd be suitable for use as a commuter, and if it would take mudguards, rack and being left outside in all weather. Um. No not really.

Scott!

by Scott!

Look at completed sales on ebay for the same bike to get an idea of what the market is doing. It's always difficult to put emotion aside and accept the fact that resale on bikes is horrible. Some get the attitude that if it's only worth X amount it's better to just keep it. I've had plenty of bikes that gathered dust in the garage because of that, and meanwhile value just keeps going down. It's not going to go up in value so sometimes it's best to just bite the bullet and move along. Once it's gone it's easier to get onto the next thing and start it all over again.

Barters

by Barters

Rather horrific sounding business! I am in Switzerland which has the benefit of plenty of wealth & expectation of higher prices & less discounting (you honestly see in stores "offer -5%" stickers). Downside that it is a much smaller market.

I think I will try to sell locally here at fixed price using local classifieds such as at my work, velodrome club board etc. I was hoping to get £2,000 for it.

No logical reason to sell it other than I would like a brand new bike with the latest & greatest.

bricky21

by bricky21

I usually sell on Ebay, but have had a few transactions here at WW and they all turned out well.

In my experience the best way to sell a bike is to sell it in as many pieces as possible in an auction setting, though I usually don't split up front and rear brakes. It takes more time and effort but you'll get more money in the end. Also, I've done best when I've listed popular stuff like handlebars, saddles, and drivetrain parts low and let the bidders drive the cost higher.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

resale is horrible.. 50% you will be lucky..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ride1970

by ride1970

I always punt my stuff onto ebay, starting bid is always the minimum I would be happy to accept. I never try and make top $$$$$ on things. Rather sell things than have them lying around

Barters

by Barters

On another a note, working from the premise that if you are on a forum called weight weenies which is primarily focused at making a bike lighter & we all know light, strong, (cheap pick one) you are probably slightly irrational like me. What is your normal new bike purchase cycle e.g. every 3 years & how do you consider figure in extracting the most value from your existing bike?

Oswald

by Oswald

That's why I usually buy secondhand bikes. The price for a top end bike that has hardly been used is just ridiculous if it's 'old technology'.
I don't need 11 speed, disc brakes or wide carbon clincher rims. Last bike I bought was a GF01 at half price. Sold the Ultegra 6700 group and bought a secondhand DA 7900 group at a bargain from some guy who only wants to ride the newest gear. So I have a nearly new GF01 with full DA for less then the price of a frame :D

1flytriguy

by 1flytriguy

Take a look at bicyclebluebook.com. I have found they have pretty accurate used bike prices.

ross

by ross

Hate to say it but this was the frameset that Westbrooks Cycles did a clearance on last year at £499 each. As such the market was flooded and drove down prices accordingly

Brand new DA7900 groupset can be found online for £799 now

You would maximise your income by splitting and selling each component individually on here or BikeRadar to avoid paying ebay listing fees but this would be a time consuming process, and certainly on BikeRadar you would have to deal with a bunch of knobs offering well below your asking price and generally wasting your time :evil:

I would keep it and ride it until it falls apart if I were you, unless you are willing to take a massive financial hit

mattr

by mattr

mattr wrote:Last bike I sold, I split. Ended up with some leftover bars and a pair of forks, which I hadn't really wanted to sell anyway.
Forgot to point out, the bike i split, and kept some bits.

I actually only lost about £200 against the original purchase/build price, after having used the bike for 4 years. And got to keep the forks. At around ~£500 to replace.

Think i kept the brakes too. But they came from another build, so i didn't buy them in the first place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Antoine

by Antoine

warranty is the big issue with carbon frames I think. I don't know for Scott but if it works only for the original owner it's a gamble to buy a used one.
So if you are willing to take care of any problem (like you were still the owner of the bike) it can be a plus for potential buyers.

Your target is probably somebody who can't afford a bike like that or not wanting to spend that much. And wanting a bike looking like new.

Swiss are so rich , I don't know if they buy used stuff, you can try to sell it in nearby countries using eBay or specific web site like http://www.troc-velo.com/Velo-route.htm