Do I buy a new bike or wait it out.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

I am moving to a new team and the team bike is a Masi Evoluzione and it costs less than $1000 for a frameset. I currently have a caad10 which I like a lot but a lot of people say it's to small for me, I have a 147mm stem on it. I am a sprinter though and like the feel of the small bike. Is a Masi worth my it or should I stick with the caad10?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

I'd advise you visit a good fitter and see what he says about frame size, rather than trust what people say. it's impossible to advise you without knowing more information.

russianbear

by russianbear

There are various reasons a stem that long might be necessary (there was a thread on it a week back). It's definitely outside the normal range, but most "people" don't even know what stack and reach is. As poster above me said, we have no clue except for your stem length. How is your fit?

I'd move to the Masi, if just for a change. CAAD10 is fine, but boring imo.

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

Yeah I am 5'10" the frame is a 52 with the 147mm stem it comes out to 58cm of reach. My saddle height is 76cm. I have never seen a fitter as I am not uncomfortable but the people telling me to up size do have bike fitting experience. Just wondering if a Masi is a truly superior frame to a caad10
Last edited by Lucas1234 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dingophoto/14282817891/

Here is a picture of me on the bike during the race with the above stated dimensions.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

with a long enough stem, a bunch of spacers and a funky seatpost, you can make just about anything fit. The reason a lot of people say your bike is too small is because it is too small (although that photo shows us nothing useful)

At your overall height and saddle height, a 56 is probably better suited in most frames. Going down to a 54 could be made to work if you are looking for an aggressive set up. I run the same saddle height and reach (nose of saddle to center of bar?) as you and have a few bikes, all 56's and all with 120 mm stems.

So yah, time to switch bikes.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

russianbear

by russianbear

Masi will also be nicer over longer rides.

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

Thanks for the advice guys I am definitely considering it.

lippythelion

by lippythelion

Luca wrote:I have a 147mm stem

:thumbup: :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Lucas1234 wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/dingophoto/14282817891/

Here is a picture of me on the bike during the race with the above stated dimensions.

Those handlebars look to have a silly short reach and you placed the lever so the reach is reduced even more.

Get some Rotundos or Zipp 88 classic, with same stem, if you put the STIs where it should be, you will gain 2 cm of reach at least both in the drops or at the brake lever.

Seing another pic of you in the flickr file, I would not go with a 56, if you like a shorter frame, go with a 54 and a 130 or 140mm stem. I highly recommand to think about the bars/levers stuff.