What to do… repaint? new frame? CAAD10, Super6 Evo HM or R3?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JourneyMan

by JourneyMan

Need some advice as I've been rolling this around over and over and my 'final' decision changes day to day…

I have a Felt F5. It's okay, it's been good to me. I'm not inspired by it and I hate the paint job. Yep, I know how dumb that sounds.. So… My options I've generated are:

1) to respray the frame I have which will run me about $450 (and maybe throw on a new fork to drop a bit of weight)
2) get to an R3/S3
3) get a CAAD10 frame and throw some money at a good wheel set (frame around $1100)
4) get a Supesix Evo Hi Mod on closeout for $1900

I've got a set of Reynolds Forty Sixty tubulars. I like them as they're light and good all rounders, but they're on my Cervélo P3 permanently. I'd eventually like to move to clinchers as I think they're some great clinchers that will come close to tubular performance. Plus, I tape my tubulars onto the carbon rims and they're just never as secure as my training wheels, which are just Reflex rims on 105 hubs that I built up 3x and glued some 25c Paves onto. I realise many of you have clicked away from this thread at the mention of 3x and training wheels…! :thumb up: They're not sexy…

So that's where I'm at. I don't really like buying complete bikes, I much prefer buying all the bits carefully and putting the whole lot together. I can get a Ultegra group set cheaply, I've got a Rotor chainset and aftermarket cockpit. I could either build a frame up from the mix I have or just sell the F5 for whatever I can get and build a new bike up. Anyone got any compelling arguments either way? Supersix Evo Hi Mod worth it? CAAD10 almost as good? Anyone else ridden the Felt? It feels fine - I can't complain about it - it just makes me imagine riding the bike equivalent of a family car… :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Can you get a decent deal on a S3/R3 frameset? I'd go that route.

JourneyMan

by JourneyMan

I like the more traditional geometry of the 'Dales. I'm tempted by the Evo HM. It's in the black SuperSix Evo HM Red Racing colour frame set so not too garish.

I like the Cervélos and was on the verge of getting an S3 Ui2, but I'm currently having a warranty issue with the P3 and it's left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The other factor is, I'm looking at a 60cm Dale or 61cm Cervélo, which as any big rider knows, is a huge factor. Literally and figuratively. It's hard to get the bike looking aesthetically pleasing, although I think the more traditional geometry helps, and I think I can live with the way a 60cm Dale looks. The Felt I currently ride actually looks pretty good for a big bike, mainly because of the large filleted junctions between the top tube, head tube and down tube.

I know, I know… I shouldn't be so vain. But lets face it, all these bikes are better than I'll ever be as a rider so it makes senses to get the one you fall in love with the most!