New race bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattBeOne

by MattBeOne

Hi WW guys,

I am switching from mtb to road racing after a good season riding semi on the road and semi on the mtb. I will be riding as a first year Elite, mostly in the Netherlands and regularly in Belgium. Also some races in Spain and France are on the program.

Now however, I am without a sponsor team for the road races. Therefore it is time to get my own gear.
I am looking for a good decent race bike to ride a full season on, it has to climb, ride cobbles and do flat stages. As a student however I'm on a budget.

Some specs I prefer are:
-Shimano Ultegra 11sp
-Carbon frame/fork
-Alu cockpit
-Clincher wheels below 1500gr (high or low, aloy or carbon)
-Total bike weight around 7.5kg (no pedals)

A bike that caught my attentions (and which I can get at retail +VAT price) was the Trek Emonda SL6. I'll probably get some fulcrum 1 wheels and a syntace of 3T cockpit for the bike. I think a 56cm should work, my seat hight is 76.5cm.

What are your thoughts on this bike for racing, and any other brands I should definitely look at?

Thanks in advance guys!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Since you want Alu, a connondale CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattBeOne

by MattBeOne

520 Dan wrote:Since you want Alu, a connondale CAAD 10

An alu cockpit, not an alu frame ;)

PDXWheels
Shop Owner

by PDXWheels

Felt F1

amey

by amey

^ This, or Canyon Aeroroad CF SLX or Cannondale Supersix Evo

bungis

by bungis

Do you have a current road bike to compare for a desired stack/reach?

MattBeOne

by MattBeOne

Yes, my current bike is a Cube Agree GTC 58cm frame.

My feeling says as a racer I should take the H1 frameset, however if I compare my current position (perfected over 3 years) I think the H2 suits me just fine.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think the SL6 Emonda sounds perfect for what you're looking for. You already must like it since it's what you're using as a comparison, it's carbon, it incorporates some really nice cable routing especially under the bottom bracket and no funky bends to contend with. Some niceties like the duotrap sensor never hurts either. If you're doing cobbles the frame (with the Ultegra brakes) has good clearance for larger tires within reason. And I think the whole frame has some nice lines to it aesthetically. If the geometry suits you and it fits, doesn't sound like there's any deal breakers.

Re the H1 or H2 fit, not sure that you could get an H1 fit in the SL6, but even still, the H1 fit is very aggressive. You'd have to decide that on your own, and whether you need more saddle to bar drop than the H2 fit would provide. I've ridden the 60 Emonda in an H2 and there's no way I would go to an H1 fit. The H2 fits pretty much the same as my 61 Traditional Colnago.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MattBeOne

by MattBeOne

Here is a quick (realy bad) photoshop thing I did to compare the two bikes/frame's.

I think, allthough the angle is slightly different, they match up quite well. Seems H2 should be fine

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

sorry about that.

That being said, I have had a super six and an evo. The super six high mod was a better race bike than the evo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com