Best "Aero" Road Helmet...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cuki

by Cuki

I'd like to see a photo of your white Evade to see what it looks like now. I'm also interested in removing the red stripes from my matt black Evade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

Another LG Course here. Love it. Very comfortable, very adjustable, very minimal.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Hastur

by Hastur

refthimos wrote:
Hastur wrote:Really like my Evade. Can't complain about the ventilation, yet. Perhaps a bit warm if you climb all day.

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of those red stripes and get a all black helmet..... Any ideas?

I removed all of the little stripes from my White Evade. They are just a bunch of decals. Soften them up with a hair dryer and scrape them off with your fingernail. Then take a mild solvent like acetone or Goo Gone (IIRC Goo Gone wasn't quite enough so I used acetone) and that will help clean up the leftover adhesive from the decals.

Will try, thanks!!! :-D

hasbeen

by hasbeen

They used to tell us not to put stickers on our helmets because the glue isnt healthy for it. (ridiculous I know)
However I hate to think what acetone does to the overall integrity of the helmet.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Starter

by Starter

I love my Air Attack. It has better air flow than most of my "normal" helmets, plus it's aero. Really interesting how the air flow works... Even grinding uphill, it can catch air and channel it in and over the head. You really feel it working. Makes you wonder if all those helmets with the dozens of vents aren't more about looking cool than about actually cooling. I also like the visor a lot. So much more convenient than carrying a pair of sunglasses, and the optics are excellent. I do think it's pretty ugly in the lighter colors, but the black and matte black are actually pretty sharp, in my opinion.
Oof.

arthurf

by arthurf

Starter wrote:I love my Air Attack. It has better air flow than most of my "normal" helmets, plus it's aero. Really interesting how the air flow works... Even grinding uphill, it can catch air and channel it in and over the head. You really feel it working. Makes you wonder if all those helmets with the dozens of vents aren't more about looking cool than about actually cooling. I also like the visor a lot. So much more convenient than carrying a pair of sunglasses, and the optics are excellent. I do think it's pretty ugly in the lighter colors, but the black and matte black are actually pretty sharp, in my opinion.

^ This. My air attack has been brilliant even on hot days. Doesn't feel any hotter than my previous Lazer Helium but it's significantly quieter at high speed

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

YES, THIS ^^^!

hasbeen wrote:They used to tell us not to put stickers on our helmets because the glue isnt healthy for it. (ridiculous I know)
However I hate to think what acetone does to the overall integrity of the helmet.

If anyone is curious about what acetone might do to a helmet, take a styrofoam/expanded polystyrene cup (same basic material as most helmet foam), put it somewhere where a spill isn't an issue, like a metal tray, and pour a couple fingers worth of acetone into the cup.

For the lazy or non experimentally inclined amongst you, the answer is that it will dissolve/melt the foam in short order.

It may be safe on someplastics, but unless you were going to do some serious homework on what shell material the manufacturer used, there is no way to know, and even then you would run the risk of a drip making its way around to the foam.

Basically, use something more mild. That is all.

IchDien

by IchDien

So now we have helmets like the Giro Synthe and the Kask Protone is there much point in going full aero then..?

The Specialized Evade is surely due an update soon?

sychen

by sychen

IchDien wrote:So now we have helmets like the Giro Synthe and the Kask Protone is there much point in going full aero then..?

Marginal gains on marginal gains? Damn right we will. This is the ww forum after all.
Why would a new product get an upgrade? What is wrong with the evade?

I'm looking at the air attack due to the visor... The synthe is too close in function to my aeon.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

IchDien wrote:So now we have helmets like the Giro Synthe and the Kask Protone is there much point in going full aero then..?

evade is what.. 1 year old.. slightly more
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ichobi

by ichobi

I live in Thailand where we riding in 35-42 degree Celcius is daily life.
The Evade is a little hotter than normal helmet, but not in the degree that i would not use it. In fact it's my only helmet. I climbed Cameron Highland in Malaysia (60km from the bottom to the top) with the evade at around 39 degree C and didn't think the heat slow me down at all. On a really humid day, your sweat will accumulate at the back of your temple because the top vent only take air in. All the hot stuff will be at the back. Not that it's annoying or anything.

On the other hand, descending in this helmet in a full tuck position (chin hit the stem ,ass on the toptube) is quite something.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

TwiggyTN wrote:Love my Evade. Fits so much better than my Prevail that unless it's uber hot or I'm in the mountains I wear the Evade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

THIS! I have two Prevails, and an Evade currently. I use the Evade for 95% of my road rides now. I have a white Prevail for super hot road rides, and a red/black/white one for MTB use. The Evade has great cooling, just not as good as a Prevail. I shave my head so I can probably feel this more than people with hair on their dome.

To the guy that said the Evade is due for an update, it has only been available for barely a year. That being said there is a new Tri version with a magnetic quick clamp for faster transitions. It's pretty sweet, but the helmet itself is unchanged.

Hastur

by Hastur

^There is actually at least one small difference between the shapes of the Road Evade and the Tri Evade:

Road:

Tri:

Dont know why...safety issue?

And thanks for the info, no acetone will be used on my helmet. :-)

ras11

by ras11

Does anyone know if the Bell Star Pro wind tunnel data is with or without visor?

Seem like the Star Pro would be a good option for a road helmet providing you didn't have to wear the visor to get the aero performance.
:-) Toys-R-Us

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com