Best "Aero" Road Helmet...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IchDien

by IchDien

Am looking to finally replace my Giro Aeon with something else and like the look and idea of something more aero. I had a quick look on aero weenies but the data seems limited as far as cda goes (only specialized and giro featured).

I'm not after the most aerodynamic offering but rather the most versatile as I'm predominantly road and occasional track and race only occasionally.

The ones that interest me so far are the Giro Air Attack Shield and the Kask Infinity. The Kask looks useful due to the optional venting and the Giro because it has the visor which might be useful at some point...although it's rare to see people actually wearing it, even on the track - why?

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I think the Spesh Evade is right up there.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Love my Evade. Fits so much better than my Prevail that unless it's uber hot or I'm in the mountains I wear the Evade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dunbar42

by dunbar42

What about the new Giro Synthe? It looks a lot better than the Evade or Air Attack IMO.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The Giro Synthe and LG Course are the more normal looking ones, the Evade definitely looks the part and has became the benchmark for aero road helmets. The rest look like huge bowls on the head... [emoji14]
Last edited by Kayrehn on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

nigel379

by nigel379

Add me to the Evade lover's list. Sadly, my team switched to POC this year so I will be a mushroom head. The evade was amazing. Used it for everything no matter the temp or course. It is a bit heavier though, so if doing a lot of climbing in the hear, grab something else.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I have tried Synthe and absolutely fell in love for it. Really good ventilation and fit. Also feels lighter that Air Attack.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

kenmical

by kenmical

Am using Evade...love it. It literally became my only helmet now since the ventilation is just like any helmet.

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Kask Infinity user here. I do like the ability to open and close the vents (not sure about the aero impact but definitely works well from a ventilation point of view). I actually prefer the fit over my Vertigo.
Regarding look, that's personal of course but compared to the Air Attack (too boxy), and the Evade (too long) I think the Infinity is the better looking aero helmet out there.

stoney

by stoney

LG Course here. Love it! It's very comfortable and nice looking to boot!

hasbeen

by hasbeen

LG Course is a safe bet all around. Giro stated that it performed quite well in their wind tunnel tests. I use mine almost all the time.
Giro Synthe is on my list when its available.
Giro Air Attack was quite nice overall. Good air flow and wasnt too heavy. Didnt like the looks all that much though. Never used the lense.
I would love to try a Spec Evade but I dont get deals on them.
I also use a Lazer O2 with the cover. Not so much for aero as for bad weather. Ive always wondered how a Lazer with a cover would perform in wind tunnel tests.
Kask isnt on my radar but it seems like it might be a logical choice for you.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

IchDien

by IchDien

The Kask Protone is also out in a bit and looks an interesting choice?

Hastur

by Hastur

Really like my Evade. Can't complain about the ventilation, yet. Perhaps a bit warm if you climb all day.

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of those red stripes and get a all black helmet..... Any ideas?

refthimos

by refthimos

I have experience with 3 aero helmets: Giro Air Attack, LG Course and Specialized Evade.

I got the Air Attack when it first came out and rode that helmet right up til the LG Course tested faster (on most riders at ERO Sports). Sold the Air Attack cheap to a teammate. Never had any real issues with the Air Attack, even in pretty hot weather. Mine was matte black by the way.

When the Evade was introduced and tested faster than the Course (on most riders at ERO Sports), I bought the Evade but this time kept my old helmet, the Course. I did this for two reasons (1) I thought the Evade was a little "much" when doing stuff like cyclocross or easy recovery rides and (2) I was concerned the Evade might run hotter than the Course and I would do well to keep the Course for hot days.

I have lots and lots of miles on both helmets and can say that for me, the heat concerns with the Evade were unfounded. I don't notice any cooling difference between the two helmets, even on hot climbing days, including this ride (http://app.strava.com/activities/194119537/analysis) of 145mi with >13K ft of climbing with temperatures above 110 degrees! Yes, that day was hot, but not any moreso because of the Evade.

The two differences I have found between the Course and Evade are (1) The Course favors a rounder head shape while the Evade favors a more oval head shape (my head is a bit more oval so the Evade happens to fit me better than the Course) and (2) I can't stash my sunglass arms in the Evade the way I can with the Course. The vents on the Evade just aren't placed right for this. On the Course, like with most helmets with lots of vents, I have a couple options for stashing the sunglasses "in" the helmet.

With that said, if the Synthe tests faster than the Evade, I will most likely switch once again, so long as it its well on me. I do prefer the look of the Synthe to the Evade, but I have grown to appreciate, if not completely love, the look of the Evade. YMMV.
Last edited by refthimos on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

Hastur wrote:Really like my Evade. Can't complain about the ventilation, yet. Perhaps a bit warm if you climb all day.

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of those red stripes and get a all black helmet..... Any ideas?

I removed all of the little stripes from my White Evade. They are just a bunch of decals. Soften them up with a hair dryer and scrape them off with your fingernail. Then take a mild solvent like acetone or Goo Gone (IIRC Goo Gone wasn't quite enough so I used acetone) and that will help clean up the leftover adhesive from the decals.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com