Best "Aero" Road Helmet...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ednino

by ednino

I use the Kask Infinity & really like it. I was concerned it would be too hot in summer but it was fine in Mallorca in 30C

aaric

by aaric

IchDien wrote:Anyone know where the Giro Synthe would fit into that CdA graph officially? I can't see it being more aero than the air attack...so not much of an upgrade on the Aeon?

http://road.cc/content/review/139701-giro-synthe-helmet

"Using Wind Averaged Drag, a formula that takes into account 72 different yaw angles and calculates a single drag measurement for a standard head angle of 30 degrees and speed of 25mph, the Synthe is more aerodynamically efficient than any road helmet [we] tested, including the acclaimed Air Attack," say Giro."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joepac

by joepac

aaric wrote:
IchDien wrote:Anyone know where the Giro Synthe would fit into that CdA graph officially? I can't see it being more aero than the air attack...so not much of an upgrade on the Aeon?

"Using Wind Averaged Drag, a formula that takes into account 72 different yaw angles and calculates a single drag measurement for a standard head angle of 30 degrees and speed of 25mph, the Synthe is more aerodynamically efficient than any road helmet [we] tested, including the acclaimed Air Attack," say Giro."

"Giro also tests at a 60-degree head angle, replicating a rider with his or her head down. At this angle, the Air Attack remains significantly faster — on the order of 16 grams of drag at 25 miles per hour. So if you’re a sprinter, or a head-down time trialist, the Air Attack is still faster."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/06/ ... met_333198

Keep this in mind when making your choice. I just bought an Evade because I am a sprinter and want a helmet that is fast as possible in the sprint regardless of head position, fast in the flats, and well ventilated. Last week I rode (and won :P 8) ) my hometown Wednesday Worlds in 90 F/ 32 C heat which included a cat 4 climb in the sun and can say it is very well ventilated. Very impressed as overheating up the climbs was a big concern I have. If you are not the sprinting type a few people I ride with have picked up Giro Synthes and are very happy with them. So I would recommend either. I know a few people with air attacks who seem happy enough with them, but the head profile it gives you is just obscene :lol:

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I have the Air Attack and Course. The AA, to me, is more comfortable. No issues with air flow.

NealH

by NealH

aaric wrote:

I have a Synthe, and its more aero because its smaller. Not because its designed significantly different.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

My Garneau Course has quite a bit smaller outer diameter than my Synthe which I just picked up. Both medium. Looking forward to trying them on the same day. Not expecting big differences though. May try to write a review.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

53x12

by 53x12

Anyone seen any 3rd party data yet on the Scott Cadence Plus?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Look595

by Look595

I vote for the Giro Synthe too, just replaced my 3 years old Synthe to latest MIPS as usually i change my helmet every 3 years from the day i buy it.

I too have the POC Octal Raceday which i like it alot too, no love here for it??? :o

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have a Evade and a mips synthe ... I prefer the evade.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the Bontrager Ballista and I love it. I never felt a lack of airflow on climbs which could be a problem with many aero helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk